Jan 17, 2012, 11:19 AM EDT
The Bruins are still winning games and looking like a dominating force, but that doesn’t mean everything is all good in Boston.
Bruins coach Claude Julien has loved the play of David Krejci, but he’s not exactly enamored with the play of his linemates Milan Lucic and Nathan Horton. CSNNE.com’s Joe Haggerty hears it from Julien about what his two physical scorers aren’t doing to help the Bruins.
“Looch looked like he had heavy legs tonight; [Horton] was the same thing,” said Julien.
Heavy legs is one thing, but Julien saved his harshest criticism for Horton.
“Horton has got to pick up his game. No ifs or buts about it. A guy his size needs to get more physically involved. He needs to compete a lot harder. He’s skating hard – you can see it on the backcheck – but we need more from him.”
Julien says he needs Horton to play better because the Bruins are dealing with injuries with their other forwards. Lighting a fire under both Horton and Lucic has worked in the past. We’ve seen Julien call these two out earlier this season even breaking up their line to motivate them. With how well Boston’s other lines are playing now, that option doesn’t seem likely this time around should things continue.
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)