Jan 17, 2012, 9:48 AM EST
If you’re the Columbus Blue Jackets and you want to model your team after another, seeing yourself in the image of the Edmonton Oilers probably isn’t all that encouraging. When you’re as bad as the Jackets are these days, however, that’s about the best you’ve got to go on.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sees the sad comparison, however, and while there’s urgency on the Blue Jackets to win now, the Oilers show that tanking out hard at least shows that talent can come from bad situations. Interim head coach Todd Richards speaks on what Edmonton can do.
“They have some great young players who, in a few years, are going to be dominant players in this league,” Blue Jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “They’re already getting close to that point. They have some veteran players who know how to play and do things the right way.”
It works that way for the struggling Oilers too. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle being out of action makes life hard for them too, but that’s part of their future. If you can find the prospects for the Jackets to build on, go ahead and let GM Scott Howson know who they are.
If the Jackets opted to take the Oilers route to rebuild, you have to wonder if the Blue Jackets fans that are left would want to stick around for another three years or so to see it pan out.
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 5
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 16
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 14
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 41
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 5
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 14
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)