Jan 17, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
If you’re the Columbus Blue Jackets and you want to model your team after another, seeing yourself in the image of the Edmonton Oilers probably isn’t all that encouraging. When you’re as bad as the Jackets are these days, however, that’s about the best you’ve got to go on.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sees the sad comparison, however, and while there’s urgency on the Blue Jackets to win now, the Oilers show that tanking out hard at least shows that talent can come from bad situations. Interim head coach Todd Richards speaks on what Edmonton can do.
“They have some great young players who, in a few years, are going to be dominant players in this league,” Blue Jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “They’re already getting close to that point. They have some veteran players who know how to play and do things the right way.”
It works that way for the struggling Oilers too. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle being out of action makes life hard for them too, but that’s part of their future. If you can find the prospects for the Jackets to build on, go ahead and let GM Scott Howson know who they are.
If the Jackets opted to take the Oilers route to rebuild, you have to wonder if the Blue Jackets fans that are left would want to stick around for another three years or so to see it pan out.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 16
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)