Jan 17, 2012, 9:48 AM EDT
If you’re the Columbus Blue Jackets and you want to model your team after another, seeing yourself in the image of the Edmonton Oilers probably isn’t all that encouraging. When you’re as bad as the Jackets are these days, however, that’s about the best you’ve got to go on.
Aaron Portzline of The Columbus Dispatch sees the sad comparison, however, and while there’s urgency on the Blue Jackets to win now, the Oilers show that tanking out hard at least shows that talent can come from bad situations. Interim head coach Todd Richards speaks on what Edmonton can do.
“They have some great young players who, in a few years, are going to be dominant players in this league,” Blue Jackets interim coach Todd Richards said. “They’re already getting close to that point. They have some veteran players who know how to play and do things the right way.”
It works that way for the struggling Oilers too. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins and Jordan Eberle being out of action makes life hard for them too, but that’s part of their future. If you can find the prospects for the Jackets to build on, go ahead and let GM Scott Howson know who they are.
If the Jackets opted to take the Oilers route to rebuild, you have to wonder if the Blue Jackets fans that are left would want to stick around for another three years or so to see it pan out.
- Report: Thomas Vanek involved in money laundering scandal 7
- Video: Devils (finally) win a shootout 2
- Video: Lucic and Stewart drop the gloves 19
- Blues lose Backes, Oshie indefinitely to concussions 5
- Struggling Coyotes ‘not anywhere good enough,’ says GM 9
- Red Wings take over third period, blank Ovechkin in win 8
- Video: Doc Emrick’s heartfelt words about Gordie Howe 5
- Rangers’ Moore suspended five games for ‘extremely difficult’ Haula hit 18
- Ovechkin looking to avoid career-long scoring slump tonight 11
- Nolan skates Sabres, says the time for ‘taking it easy is over’ 38
- Video: John Moore with an elbow to the head of Erik Haula (Updated) (62)
- Report: Varlamov being sued by ex-girlfriend (47)
- Kreider calls Brodin hit a ‘bang-bang play,’ doesn’t plan to dramatically change his game (45)
- No hearing scheduled for Kreider after Brodin hit (44)
- Kopitar out, Lombardi irate as Kings will play shorthanded vs. Flyers (40)