Jan 16, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
The alleged incident occurred during the second period of Montreal’s 4-1 win Sunday night, shortly after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty scored to make it 2-1. Based on the video, Del Zotto skated by the Habs bench and either 1) moved directly in the path of, or 2) was the intended target of Subban’s magic loogie.
Neither spitter nor spittee had much to say following the game.
“I know him,” Subban told Newsday. “I wasn’t spitting at anybody.”
Brian Wilde of CTV asked Subban about the incident postgame and that Subban was “surprised to be asked about it.”
As for Del Zotto?
“I don’t know what happened,” he told the New York Daily News. “I know [Subban] a little bit, not that we’re best friends or anything.
“I’m not sure if guys can believe it or not, but I know nothing about it.”
This is the third hockey-related spitting incident we’ve seen recently. Sean Avery allegedly spit at his coach in AHL Connecticut (he didn’t), Alex Ovechkin was accused of spitting at Derek Dorsett (Ovi claims he didn’t) and now this Subban-Del Zotto incident (which neither guy thinks was intentional.)
The moral of this story? Hockey players spit more than Johnny Rotten during his Sex Pistols days. With all that saliva flying around, there’s going to be some collateral damage.
- NHL, Coyotes deny report that team is moving to Vegas 23
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 46
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 20
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 85
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 15
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 47
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (87)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)