Jan 16, 2012, 1:13 PM EDT
The alleged incident occurred during the second period of Montreal’s 4-1 win Sunday night, shortly after Canadiens forward Max Pacioretty scored to make it 2-1. Based on the video, Del Zotto skated by the Habs bench and either 1) moved directly in the path of, or 2) was the intended target of Subban’s magic loogie.
Neither spitter nor spittee had much to say following the game.
“I know him,” Subban told Newsday. “I wasn’t spitting at anybody.”
Brian Wilde of CTV asked Subban about the incident postgame and that Subban was “surprised to be asked about it.”
As for Del Zotto?
“I don’t know what happened,” he told the New York Daily News. “I know [Subban] a little bit, not that we’re best friends or anything.
“I’m not sure if guys can believe it or not, but I know nothing about it.”
This is the third hockey-related spitting incident we’ve seen recently. Sean Avery allegedly spit at his coach in AHL Connecticut (he didn’t), Alex Ovechkin was accused of spitting at Derek Dorsett (Ovi claims he didn’t) and now this Subban-Del Zotto incident (which neither guy thinks was intentional.)
The moral of this story? Hockey players spit more than Johnny Rotten during his Sex Pistols days. With all that saliva flying around, there’s going to be some collateral damage.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 4
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 11
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 62
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (62)
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain (45)
- Arena deal in jeopardy? Glendale mayor requests investigation into ‘clear violation’ of state law (42)
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal (42)