Jan 16, 2012, 7:04 PM EDT
All you wide-eyed kids out there who dream about working in pro sports – you probably won’t.
That’s the wisdom Leafs general manager Brian Burke imparted in a characteristically straightforward article he wrote for the Maple Leaf Sports & Entertainment website.
First and foremost, I advise anyone attempting to get into this field to be prepared to fail. The number of young people who seek to enter the field of professional sports is vast. However, the number of applicants who successfully find employment in the area of sports is tiny. Therefore, I hereby tender to you the best advice you will get. Assume you will fail, and make sure you have developed expertise in another area or areas. You must be equipped to be successful in another profession in the event you are unsuccessful in finding employment in the area of sports.
For those who weren’t too discouraged to read on, Burke went on to differentiate between the “talent” and “business” sides of pro sports – “Jobs on the business side outnumber those on the talent side by a ratio of 4:1 or better” – and concluded by wishing everyone good luck
and confirming he isn’t actively shopping Luke Schenn.
PS — If you’re truly desperate to work in sports, you could always become a blogger.
PPS — As long as you’re cool with being a disappointment to your family.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)