Jan 16, 2012, 12:28 AM EDT
When people wonder “Where’s the old Alex Ovechkin?,” many are just asking where his scoring touch went. That being said, there’s also been the sense that the all-world winger hasn’t quite been there in spirit, either. He hasn’t been the video game hockey player turned human – the guy just as likely to clobber someone with a check as he would be to embarrass a goalie with a highlight reel goal.
Ovi has a long way to go until he totally rebounds to that form, but there have been enough glimpses of that freight train style to start getting excited.
In other words, opponents better keep their heads up, as hard-hitting and receiving* forward Tuomo Ruutu realized today.
Here are highlights from the full game between Ovechkin’s Washington Capitals and Ruutu’s Carolina Hurricanes, which the Caps won 2-1.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – Seriously, I feel like Ruutu is an inordinate amount of destructive collisions, with nearly equal quantities of “good” or “bad” ones.
- More like it? Avs crush Canucks 0
- Video: Beauties from Perry, Eberle and Duchene 0
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 17
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 19
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 20
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 10
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)