Jan 16, 2012, 12:28 AM EDT
When people wonder “Where’s the old Alex Ovechkin?,” many are just asking where his scoring touch went. That being said, there’s also been the sense that the all-world winger hasn’t quite been there in spirit, either. He hasn’t been the video game hockey player turned human – the guy just as likely to clobber someone with a check as he would be to embarrass a goalie with a highlight reel goal.
Ovi has a long way to go until he totally rebounds to that form, but there have been enough glimpses of that freight train style to start getting excited.
In other words, opponents better keep their heads up, as hard-hitting and receiving* forward Tuomo Ruutu realized today.
Here are highlights from the full game between Ovechkin’s Washington Capitals and Ruutu’s Carolina Hurricanes, which the Caps won 2-1.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – Seriously, I feel like Ruutu is an inordinate amount of destructive collisions, with nearly equal quantities of “good” or “bad” ones.
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 2
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 20
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 37
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 58
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (90)