Jan 16, 2012, 12:28 AM EST
When people wonder “Where’s the old Alex Ovechkin?,” many are just asking where his scoring touch went. That being said, there’s also been the sense that the all-world winger hasn’t quite been there in spirit, either. He hasn’t been the video game hockey player turned human – the guy just as likely to clobber someone with a check as he would be to embarrass a goalie with a highlight reel goal.
Ovi has a long way to go until he totally rebounds to that form, but there have been enough glimpses of that freight train style to start getting excited.
In other words, opponents better keep their heads up, as hard-hitting and receiving* forward Tuomo Ruutu realized today.
Here are highlights from the full game between Ovechkin’s Washington Capitals and Ruutu’s Carolina Hurricanes, which the Caps won 2-1.This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
* – Seriously, I feel like Ruutu is an inordinate amount of destructive collisions, with nearly equal quantities of “good” or “bad” ones.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)