Jan 15, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
If you haven’t noticed, things aren’t going so hot in Columbus. They’ve already fired Scott Arniel as their coach, they’ve got a host of injuries making life harder, and GM Scott Howson’s job could be in jeopardy come season’s end.
Ottawa Sun writer Bruce Garrioch says that the name that’s being floated around as a potential successor to Howson is John Ferguson Jr. If you’re unaware of who Ferguson is and what his track record was in Toronto, consider this Garrioch’s way of telling you that things can get worse.
Ferguson was the Leafs GM from 2003-2008, a tenure that saw the Leafs make the playoffs in his first year in charge and never again after that. Ferguson was famous (infamous?) for signing veteran players to hefty contracts with no-trade clauses and having a poor drafting history. He’s also the guy that traded Tuukka Rask for Andrew Raycroft. Yikes.
If Ferguson wound up in Columbus, the possibility of seeing things improve would not be very positive given his track record.
It’s just a rumor and Garrioch’s track record with rumors isn’t stellar, but if there are legs to this at all Jackets fans should be demanding better of everyone in charge of the franchise. With how poorly things went under Doug MacLean and now with Scott Howson, seeing Ferguson wind up in the same role would just be another shot in the gut to a fan base that doesn’t have much else left to give.
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ 7
- So…what do the Oilers do now? 34
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 147
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 15
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 4
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 24
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 29
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (147)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)