Jan 15, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
Malkin put up five points including a natural hat trick in a 6-3 win over the Lightning. Malkin’s first goal came in the third period just 48 seconds after Teddy Purcell scored to tie the game at 3-3. Malkin’s five point game is the second one he’s had this year pulling off the feat in a beat down of the Sabres just last month.
The win for Pittsburgh is their second in a row after ending a six game losing streak. The loss for Tampa Bay made it seven in a row for them as they continue to drop in the East.
The story, however, was all Malkin. Malkin was already near the top of the points leaderboard in the NHL but today’s five point game gives him 51 points on the season and puts him one point behind Henrik Sedin for the league lead. As long as Malkin continues to put up performances like this, Pens fans won’t be longing too hard to get their injured stars back.
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 1
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 4
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 10
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 34
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)