Jan 15, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
Malkin put up five points including a natural hat trick in a 6-3 win over the Lightning. Malkin’s first goal came in the third period just 48 seconds after Teddy Purcell scored to tie the game at 3-3. Malkin’s five point game is the second one he’s had this year pulling off the feat in a beat down of the Sabres just last month.
The win for Pittsburgh is their second in a row after ending a six game losing streak. The loss for Tampa Bay made it seven in a row for them as they continue to drop in the East.
The story, however, was all Malkin. Malkin was already near the top of the points leaderboard in the NHL but today’s five point game gives him 51 points on the season and puts him one point behind Henrik Sedin for the league lead. As long as Malkin continues to put up performances like this, Pens fans won’t be longing too hard to get their injured stars back.
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 11
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 7
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 0
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 43
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 26
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 21
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 33
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 48
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 33
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)