Jan 15, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
Malkin put up five points including a natural hat trick in a 6-3 win over the Lightning. Malkin’s first goal came in the third period just 48 seconds after Teddy Purcell scored to tie the game at 3-3. Malkin’s five point game is the second one he’s had this year pulling off the feat in a beat down of the Sabres just last month.
The win for Pittsburgh is their second in a row after ending a six game losing streak. The loss for Tampa Bay made it seven in a row for them as they continue to drop in the East.
The story, however, was all Malkin. Malkin was already near the top of the points leaderboard in the NHL but today’s five point game gives him 51 points on the season and puts him one point behind Henrik Sedin for the league lead. As long as Malkin continues to put up performances like this, Pens fans won’t be longing too hard to get their injured stars back.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)