Jan 15, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
Malkin put up five points including a natural hat trick in a 6-3 win over the Lightning. Malkin’s first goal came in the third period just 48 seconds after Teddy Purcell scored to tie the game at 3-3. Malkin’s five point game is the second one he’s had this year pulling off the feat in a beat down of the Sabres just last month.
The win for Pittsburgh is their second in a row after ending a six game losing streak. The loss for Tampa Bay made it seven in a row for them as they continue to drop in the East.
The story, however, was all Malkin. Malkin was already near the top of the points leaderboard in the NHL but today’s five point game gives him 51 points on the season and puts him one point behind Henrik Sedin for the league lead. As long as Malkin continues to put up performances like this, Pens fans won’t be longing too hard to get their injured stars back.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 20
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 25
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5