Jan 15, 2012, 5:06 PM EDT
Malkin put up five points including a natural hat trick in a 6-3 win over the Lightning. Malkin’s first goal came in the third period just 48 seconds after Teddy Purcell scored to tie the game at 3-3. Malkin’s five point game is the second one he’s had this year pulling off the feat in a beat down of the Sabres just last month.
The win for Pittsburgh is their second in a row after ending a six game losing streak. The loss for Tampa Bay made it seven in a row for them as they continue to drop in the East.
The story, however, was all Malkin. Malkin was already near the top of the points leaderboard in the NHL but today’s five point game gives him 51 points on the season and puts him one point behind Henrik Sedin for the league lead. As long as Malkin continues to put up performances like this, Pens fans won’t be longing too hard to get their injured stars back.
- Tortorella calls meltdown ‘a kick in the teeth’ 4
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 11
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 13
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 7
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 22
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 35
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 42
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)