Jan 15, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning probably weren’t too pleased with Evgeni Malkin to begin with this afternoon. The Pittsburgh Penguins star scored a natural hat trick after collecting two assists against the hapless Bolts, but Vincent Lecavalier was livid toward the Russian center for a different reason.
Watch Lecavalier blow up after Malkin “pulled a Marchand” (Matt Kalman’s phrase, not mine) on him late in the game. Depending on which side you’re on, the worst moment was either Lecavalier’s “sucker punch” or Malkin’s low hit.
Here’s the longest bit of footage on the entire skirmish. For whatever it’s worth, Malkin said he was just trying to “save himself” from a hit, which sort of falls in line with Marchand’s defense.
What do you think? Does Malkin deserve some kind of discipline for his “reaction” to Lecavalier’s check attempt? Is Vinny more in the wrong for his reaction to Geno’s reaction? Share your reactions.
- Kane’s OT goal ties Blackhawks – Blues series at 2-2 15
- Stars chase Andersen, tie series with Ducks 2-2 18
- Penguins blow three-goal lead, Columbus evens series 69
- NHL suspends Matt Cooke for seven games 91
- Ducks’ Getzlaf (upper body) isn’t available for Game 4 (Updated) 3
- Two years after winning the Cup, the Kings’ ‘mix’ comes into question 39
- Duck drama: Selanne to sit as healthy scratch in Game 4 15
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 12
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 43
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 56
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (136)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)