Jan 15, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning probably weren’t too pleased with Evgeni Malkin to begin with this afternoon. The Pittsburgh Penguins star scored a natural hat trick after collecting two assists against the hapless Bolts, but Vincent Lecavalier was livid toward the Russian center for a different reason.
Watch Lecavalier blow up after Malkin “pulled a Marchand” (Matt Kalman’s phrase, not mine) on him late in the game. Depending on which side you’re on, the worst moment was either Lecavalier’s “sucker punch” or Malkin’s low hit.
Here’s the longest bit of footage on the entire skirmish. For whatever it’s worth, Malkin said he was just trying to “save himself” from a hit, which sort of falls in line with Marchand’s defense.
What do you think? Does Malkin deserve some kind of discipline for his “reaction” to Lecavalier’s check attempt? Is Vinny more in the wrong for his reaction to Geno’s reaction? Share your reactions.
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 3
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)