Jan 15, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning probably weren’t too pleased with Evgeni Malkin to begin with this afternoon. The Pittsburgh Penguins star scored a natural hat trick after collecting two assists against the hapless Bolts, but Vincent Lecavalier was livid toward the Russian center for a different reason.
Watch Lecavalier blow up after Malkin “pulled a Marchand” (Matt Kalman’s phrase, not mine) on him late in the game. Depending on which side you’re on, the worst moment was either Lecavalier’s “sucker punch” or Malkin’s low hit.
Here’s the longest bit of footage on the entire skirmish. For whatever it’s worth, Malkin said he was just trying to “save himself” from a hit, which sort of falls in line with Marchand’s defense.
What do you think? Does Malkin deserve some kind of discipline for his “reaction” to Lecavalier’s check attempt? Is Vinny more in the wrong for his reaction to Geno’s reaction? Share your reactions.
- Discuss: Blackhawks push series to Game 6 12
- Report: Canucks ask Leafs permission to interview Eakins for head coaching gig 0
- Tortorella takes blame for top players’ struggles 12
- Discuss: Bruins finish off Rangers in Game 5 39
- Brassard says Marchand ‘doesn’t show any respect for his opponents’ 68
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 7
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 11
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 36
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 16
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 74
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (114)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Blackhawks stave off elimination
- Video: Highlights: Blackhawks top Red Wings 4-1
- PST: Bayern Munich beats Dortmund, wins Champions League
- PHT: Bruins bounce Rangers, advance to Conf. finals
- PBT: Pacers' Hill: Only God scarier than LeBron
- Hundreds run Boston Marathon's final mile
- MST Monaco GP predictions: Mercedes' time?
- Play Video: Highlights: Blackhawks stay alive
- Play Video: Bickell blasts Kronwall
- Play Video: Toews scores first goal of the playoffs
- Play Video: Howard with a couple of tremendous saves in Game 5
- Play Video: Highlights: Bruins move onto Eastern Conference finals
- Play Video: Lundqvist takes one away from Lucic