Jan 15, 2012, 9:44 PM EDT
The Tampa Bay Lightning probably weren’t too pleased with Evgeni Malkin to begin with this afternoon. The Pittsburgh Penguins star scored a natural hat trick after collecting two assists against the hapless Bolts, but Vincent Lecavalier was livid toward the Russian center for a different reason.
Watch Lecavalier blow up after Malkin “pulled a Marchand” (Matt Kalman’s phrase, not mine) on him late in the game. Depending on which side you’re on, the worst moment was either Lecavalier’s “sucker punch” or Malkin’s low hit.
Here’s the longest bit of footage on the entire skirmish. For whatever it’s worth, Malkin said he was just trying to “save himself” from a hit, which sort of falls in line with Marchand’s defense.
What do you think? Does Malkin deserve some kind of discipline for his “reaction” to Lecavalier’s check attempt? Is Vinny more in the wrong for his reaction to Geno’s reaction? Share your reactions.
- Price makes 43 saves as Senators’ magical run ends in controversy 15
- Video: Fast whistle costs Senators potentially critical goal 11
- WATCH LIVE: Today’s Stanley Cup playoff action 3
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance 84
- Crosby joining Team Canada at Worlds 16
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for today 12
- One more time, with feeling: Flames stage yet another comeback, eliminate Vancouver 25
- Keith conquers: Blackhawks come back, eliminate Predators 49
- Red Wings smother Lightning, take 3-2 series lead 23
- Going the distance: Isles edge Caps to force Game 7 43
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (108)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (85)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)