Jan 15, 2012, 4:31 PM EST
If Zach Parise were to become a free agent after this season, virtually every NHL team would want him. That’s just how it would go. The New Jersey Devils, of course, would like to stop that from happening. The catch here is that the Devils might not be able to afford him.
Eric Duhatschek of The Globe And Mail points out that Parise said this week that dollar amounts would be a big factor in any negotiations with him whether they’re with the Devils or another team. It’s nothing personal, it’s just business. For the financially troubled Devils that could mean having to potentially trade Parise to get something for him.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio finds out that Parise’s agent,, Wade Arnott, would be happy to negotiate in season with the Devils, something GM Lou Lamoriello does not do. If the Devils wanted to get a leg up on the competition or freeze them out completely come July, they could do so.
Instead, they’ll sit back and wait and by doing that, they’re letting a lot of teams willing to open the vault for the 27 year-old American star. The Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson points out that the Detroit Red Wings and their oodles of cap space could offer up to five years and $8.25 million per for Parise to play alongside Pavel Datsyuk.
Hang on, we just fainted here.
Duhatschek points out that both Minnesota and Los Angeles would also be all in on Parise. Parise is from Minnesota and the Kings would love nothing more than to get back at the Devils for beating them out for Ilya Kovalchuk two summers ago.
Unless the Devils change course and try to lock up their franchise forward, the rumors about trading Parise will only increase as the deadline approaches and the summer could wind up being the “Summer of Zach.”
- Stomach flu makes Lightning’s Johnson a surprise scratch 0
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 5
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 8
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 11
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 6
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5
- As holiday roster freeze approaches, Bruins linked to Oshie, Kassian 27
- Video: Pacioretty taken to hospital, reportedly no hearing expected for Stoner after questionable hit 33
- Video: Canadiens honor long-time captain Saku Koivu 2