Jan 15, 2012, 4:31 PM EDT
If Zach Parise were to become a free agent after this season, virtually every NHL team would want him. That’s just how it would go. The New Jersey Devils, of course, would like to stop that from happening. The catch here is that the Devils might not be able to afford him.
Eric Duhatschek of The Globe And Mail points out that Parise said this week that dollar amounts would be a big factor in any negotiations with him whether they’re with the Devils or another team. It’s nothing personal, it’s just business. For the financially troubled Devils that could mean having to potentially trade Parise to get something for him.
CSNPhilly.com’s Tim Panaccio finds out that Parise’s agent,, Wade Arnott, would be happy to negotiate in season with the Devils, something GM Lou Lamoriello does not do. If the Devils wanted to get a leg up on the competition or freeze them out completely come July, they could do so.
Instead, they’ll sit back and wait and by doing that, they’re letting a lot of teams willing to open the vault for the 27 year-old American star. The Edmonton Journal’s Jim Matheson points out that the Detroit Red Wings and their oodles of cap space could offer up to five years and $8.25 million per for Parise to play alongside Pavel Datsyuk.
Hang on, we just fainted here.
Duhatschek points out that both Minnesota and Los Angeles would also be all in on Parise. Parise is from Minnesota and the Kings would love nothing more than to get back at the Devils for beating them out for Ilya Kovalchuk two summers ago.
Unless the Devils change course and try to lock up their franchise forward, the rumors about trading Parise will only increase as the deadline approaches and the summer could wind up being the “Summer of Zach.”
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 4
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 9
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 3
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 22
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 20
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 10
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 18
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 38
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 12
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (62)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)