Jan 15, 2012, 11:12 AM EST
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter this morning that Byers has a phone hearing with Brendan Shanahan to discuss the wicked hit he had on San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins. Byers appeared to target Desjardins’ head with a body check, a hit that earned him a five-minute major and a match penalty.
A match penalty comes with a mandatory one-game suspension, but Byers’ phone hearing means he might get up to five games for the blow. Desjardins said after the game that he was feeling no ill effects thanks to the hit, but giving that another day or two to play out might be in his best interests.
By comparison, Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom said he felt fine after getting elbowed in the face by Rene Bourque last week and he has yet to return. For what it’s worth, Bourque got five games for his head shot.
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (57)