Jan 15, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter this morning that Byers has a phone hearing with Brendan Shanahan to discuss the wicked hit he had on San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins. Byers appeared to target Desjardins’ head with a body check, a hit that earned him a five-minute major and a match penalty.
A match penalty comes with a mandatory one-game suspension, but Byers’ phone hearing means he might get up to five games for the blow. Desjardins said after the game that he was feeling no ill effects thanks to the hit, but giving that another day or two to play out might be in his best interests.
By comparison, Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom said he felt fine after getting elbowed in the face by Rene Bourque last week and he has yet to return. For what it’s worth, Bourque got five games for his head shot.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 0
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 0
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)