Jan 15, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter this morning that Byers has a phone hearing with Brendan Shanahan to discuss the wicked hit he had on San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins. Byers appeared to target Desjardins’ head with a body check, a hit that earned him a five-minute major and a match penalty.
A match penalty comes with a mandatory one-game suspension, but Byers’ phone hearing means he might get up to five games for the blow. Desjardins said after the game that he was feeling no ill effects thanks to the hit, but giving that another day or two to play out might be in his best interests.
By comparison, Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom said he felt fine after getting elbowed in the face by Rene Bourque last week and he has yet to return. For what it’s worth, Bourque got five games for his head shot.
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 12
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 46
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 15
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 44
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 21
- P.K. Subban: ‘I’m not trying to change the game of hockey’ 24
- Demand for Canucks tickets plummeting according to broker 39