Jan 15, 2012, 11:12 AM EDT
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson announced via Twitter this morning that Byers has a phone hearing with Brendan Shanahan to discuss the wicked hit he had on San Jose’s Andrew Desjardins. Byers appeared to target Desjardins’ head with a body check, a hit that earned him a five-minute major and a match penalty.
A match penalty comes with a mandatory one-game suspension, but Byers’ phone hearing means he might get up to five games for the blow. Desjardins said after the game that he was feeling no ill effects thanks to the hit, but giving that another day or two to play out might be in his best interests.
By comparison, Washington’s Nicklas Backstrom said he felt fine after getting elbowed in the face by Rene Bourque last week and he has yet to return. For what it’s worth, Bourque got five games for his head shot.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8