Jan 14, 2012, 10:19 PM EDT
Mikko Koivu was forced to leave the game earlier after he was rocked by a Vladimir Sobotka check less than eight minutes into the game against the St. Louis Blues. The Minnesota Wild announced in the first period that his return was questionable and that he’d suffered an “upper body injury.” It didn’t take long for the status update to be amended to “will not return” for tonight’s game.
For a little more detail on the injury, Wild beat writer Michael Russo described the aftermath of the hit. He said Koivu “immediately cradled his arm close to his body and skated to the bench like it was his shoulder.”
We’ll eagerly await an update that offers more than upper-body injury.
For the Wild, this is just the latest in injury in a season that has seen way too much action in the trainer’s room. Minnesota has already seen forwards Devin Setoguchi, Guillaume Latendresse, and Pierre-Marc Bouchard sidelined for extended periods this season—the latter two players still out indefinitely with concussions. The last thing they need is their best center and leader to miss any time as they frantically look to right the ship after a recent 2-7-1 stretch.
Good thing the Wild were able to get the season started on the right foot. Despite the recent struggles, the Wild are still right in the middle of the pack for a playoff spot in the Western Conference. If the beginning of the season proved anything, it was that this team has the potential to be dangerous when they have all of their guns healthy.
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 7
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 20
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 13
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 37
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)