Jan 14, 2012, 12:22 PM EST
Those trade rumors involving James van Riemsdyk going to Toronto are about to slow down.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced today that van Riemsdyk will be out indefinitely with a concussion. Holmgren says that van Riemsdyk took a shot in the head in each of the last two games and that he wasn’t feeling like himself so they’re opting to sit him down indefinitely rather than risk it further.
In recent days, van Riemsdyk’s name has come up hot and heavy in trade rumors with the Toronto Maple Leafs surrounding a deal that would send defenseman Luke Schenn to Philly in exchange for the former second overall pick in the draft. Now with van Riemsdyk on the shelf for who knows how long, you can bet that if there was any traction for a deal there, we can only assume that discussions have slowed down.
This season van Riemsdyk has scored 11 goals and added 11 assists in what’s been a somewhat disappointing season for the 22-year-old from New Jersey. The Flyers will now have to hope they can get a little more out of Harry Zolnierczyk and Sean Couturier in his absence.
- Video: Hjalmarsson crushes Kesler, Lindholm scores in wild sequence (Updated) 4
- Trade: Ducks get Brewer from Lightning; Beauchemin out 4-6 weeks 1
- Thanksgiving Shutdown: Rangers blank listless Flyers for second time this season 18
- Video: Martin St. Louis scores goal for 1,000th point 1
- Actual video proof that Brodeur is practicing with the Blues 4
- Return of the Mac: Rangers captain McDonagh in today vs. Flyers 2
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 2
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)