Jan 14, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Those trade rumors involving James van Riemsdyk going to Toronto are about to slow down.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced today that van Riemsdyk will be out indefinitely with a concussion. Holmgren says that van Riemsdyk took a shot in the head in each of the last two games and that he wasn’t feeling like himself so they’re opting to sit him down indefinitely rather than risk it further.
In recent days, van Riemsdyk’s name has come up hot and heavy in trade rumors with the Toronto Maple Leafs surrounding a deal that would send defenseman Luke Schenn to Philly in exchange for the former second overall pick in the draft. Now with van Riemsdyk on the shelf for who knows how long, you can bet that if there was any traction for a deal there, we can only assume that discussions have slowed down.
This season van Riemsdyk has scored 11 goals and added 11 assists in what’s been a somewhat disappointing season for the 22-year-old from New Jersey. The Flyers will now have to hope they can get a little more out of Harry Zolnierczyk and Sean Couturier in his absence.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (60)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)