Jan 14, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Those trade rumors involving James van Riemsdyk going to Toronto are about to slow down.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced today that van Riemsdyk will be out indefinitely with a concussion. Holmgren says that van Riemsdyk took a shot in the head in each of the last two games and that he wasn’t feeling like himself so they’re opting to sit him down indefinitely rather than risk it further.
In recent days, van Riemsdyk’s name has come up hot and heavy in trade rumors with the Toronto Maple Leafs surrounding a deal that would send defenseman Luke Schenn to Philly in exchange for the former second overall pick in the draft. Now with van Riemsdyk on the shelf for who knows how long, you can bet that if there was any traction for a deal there, we can only assume that discussions have slowed down.
This season van Riemsdyk has scored 11 goals and added 11 assists in what’s been a somewhat disappointing season for the 22-year-old from New Jersey. The Flyers will now have to hope they can get a little more out of Harry Zolnierczyk and Sean Couturier in his absence.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)