Jan 14, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
Those trade rumors involving James van Riemsdyk going to Toronto are about to slow down.
Flyers GM Paul Holmgren announced today that van Riemsdyk will be out indefinitely with a concussion. Holmgren says that van Riemsdyk took a shot in the head in each of the last two games and that he wasn’t feeling like himself so they’re opting to sit him down indefinitely rather than risk it further.
In recent days, van Riemsdyk’s name has come up hot and heavy in trade rumors with the Toronto Maple Leafs surrounding a deal that would send defenseman Luke Schenn to Philly in exchange for the former second overall pick in the draft. Now with van Riemsdyk on the shelf for who knows how long, you can bet that if there was any traction for a deal there, we can only assume that discussions have slowed down.
This season van Riemsdyk has scored 11 goals and added 11 assists in what’s been a somewhat disappointing season for the 22-year-old from New Jersey. The Flyers will now have to hope they can get a little more out of Harry Zolnierczyk and Sean Couturier in his absence.
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall 8
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup playoff action 6
- Tarasenko’s hat trick has the Wild singing the Blues 10
- Bishop records first career playoff win as Lightning even series with Red Wings 3
- Hartley fined $50,000 after brawl between Flames and Canucks 20
- Blackhawks’ Darling gets the nod for Game 3 22
- Watch Live: Bolts, Blues look to even up their respective series 0
- Preds’ Weber not travelling to Chicago 15
- Report: Flames requested a review of Engelland’s instigator 17
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (98)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)