Jan 14, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Give some credit to Scott Hartnell, he’s dreaming big.
Hartnell knows the Flyers have some needs on the blue line and their opponent tonight, the Nashville Predators, might have at least one guy available to grab in the near future. The Preds have both Ryan Suter and Shea Weber to get signed to long-term contracts and most assumptions say they won’t be able to get both of them locked up.
Hartnell shares with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean that he’d be more than happy to see both of them in Flyers orange and black next season.
“Sometimes they say the grass is greener on the other side when you try and go and try to make a buck or two. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. But on the other hand, there’s a lot of teams out there that spend right to the cap that have great teams every year, like the Flyers,” Hartnell says.
“We’re right up at the top of the conference every year. We want to make runs every year and win the Stanley Cup. Not saying Nashville is not one of those teams.”
Hartnell admits that every team in the league would love to have either Weber or Suter or both and that times are different now financially in Nashville than how they were when he and teammate Kimmo Timonen were there.
Still, the Flyers have a need for a big presence with Chris Pronger out and if Suter is to be traded before becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer or they can’t get a deal done with soon-to-be RFA Weber, they’ll be in the mix.
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 22
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Fowler after Ducks’ win vs. Sharks: ‘We never give up’ 1
- Daly: Fehr’s lockout prediction ‘naive and uneducated’ 23
- Pens send Downie, Sutter, Greiss home for mumps test (Updated) 13
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (65)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Who are the Bruins targeting in trade talks? (47)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (42)