Jan 14, 2012, 5:24 PM EDT
Give some credit to Scott Hartnell, he’s dreaming big.
Hartnell knows the Flyers have some needs on the blue line and their opponent tonight, the Nashville Predators, might have at least one guy available to grab in the near future. The Preds have both Ryan Suter and Shea Weber to get signed to long-term contracts and most assumptions say they won’t be able to get both of them locked up.
Hartnell shares with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean that he’d be more than happy to see both of them in Flyers orange and black next season.
“Sometimes they say the grass is greener on the other side when you try and go and try to make a buck or two. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. But on the other hand, there’s a lot of teams out there that spend right to the cap that have great teams every year, like the Flyers,” Hartnell says.
“We’re right up at the top of the conference every year. We want to make runs every year and win the Stanley Cup. Not saying Nashville is not one of those teams.”
Hartnell admits that every team in the league would love to have either Weber or Suter or both and that times are different now financially in Nashville than how they were when he and teammate Kimmo Timonen were there.
Still, the Flyers have a need for a big presence with Chris Pronger out and if Suter is to be traded before becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer or they can’t get a deal done with soon-to-be RFA Weber, they’ll be in the mix.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)