Jan 14, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Give some credit to Scott Hartnell, he’s dreaming big.
Hartnell knows the Flyers have some needs on the blue line and their opponent tonight, the Nashville Predators, might have at least one guy available to grab in the near future. The Preds have both Ryan Suter and Shea Weber to get signed to long-term contracts and most assumptions say they won’t be able to get both of them locked up.
Hartnell shares with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean that he’d be more than happy to see both of them in Flyers orange and black next season.
“Sometimes they say the grass is greener on the other side when you try and go and try to make a buck or two. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. But on the other hand, there’s a lot of teams out there that spend right to the cap that have great teams every year, like the Flyers,” Hartnell says.
“We’re right up at the top of the conference every year. We want to make runs every year and win the Stanley Cup. Not saying Nashville is not one of those teams.”
Hartnell admits that every team in the league would love to have either Weber or Suter or both and that times are different now financially in Nashville than how they were when he and teammate Kimmo Timonen were there.
Still, the Flyers have a need for a big presence with Chris Pronger out and if Suter is to be traded before becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer or they can’t get a deal done with soon-to-be RFA Weber, they’ll be in the mix.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 1
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)