Jan 14, 2012, 5:24 PM EST
Give some credit to Scott Hartnell, he’s dreaming big.
Hartnell knows the Flyers have some needs on the blue line and their opponent tonight, the Nashville Predators, might have at least one guy available to grab in the near future. The Preds have both Ryan Suter and Shea Weber to get signed to long-term contracts and most assumptions say they won’t be able to get both of them locked up.
Hartnell shares with Josh Cooper of The Tennessean that he’d be more than happy to see both of them in Flyers orange and black next season.
“Sometimes they say the grass is greener on the other side when you try and go and try to make a buck or two. Sometimes it doesn’t work out. But on the other hand, there’s a lot of teams out there that spend right to the cap that have great teams every year, like the Flyers,” Hartnell says.
“We’re right up at the top of the conference every year. We want to make runs every year and win the Stanley Cup. Not saying Nashville is not one of those teams.”
Hartnell admits that every team in the league would love to have either Weber or Suter or both and that times are different now financially in Nashville than how they were when he and teammate Kimmo Timonen were there.
Still, the Flyers have a need for a big presence with Chris Pronger out and if Suter is to be traded before becoming an unrestricted free agent this summer or they can’t get a deal done with soon-to-be RFA Weber, they’ll be in the mix.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 40
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 89
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 101
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 7
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 14
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 87
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (180)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (107)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (101)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (90)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)