Jan 14, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
It’s always something with Rick DiPietro. The news of his season-ending sports hernia surgery that broke last night apparently wasn’t the only thing wrong with the former No. 1 overall pick of the Islanders.
The Islanders announced that DiPietro’s abdominal surgery would put him out of action for 10 weeks, but also noted that he was also dealing with swelling in his oft injured knee as well. DiPietro’s knee problems have kept him on the shelf for large chunks of the last three seasons and seeing that they’ve flared up again should bother the Islanders more than the sports hernia.
The Isles obviously still have a massive financial commitment to DiPietro remaining as he has nine years left on his unbelievable 15-year contract, but if they’re going to get anything more from DiPietro in the future getting his knee healthy should take precedence.
At least with a sports hernia operation they know that that will fix the problem, but whatever is ailing his knee has been his biggest road block staying fully healthy over the years.
- NHL on NBCSN: Capitals fight to earn first win vs. Penguins in 26 months 0
- Vanquished: Isles stun Canucks with seven-goal third period 19
- Peverley asked to return to game following ‘cardiac event’ 21
- Peverley hospitalized, conscious after collapsing on Stars bench (Update) 14
- Sens’ Ceci won’t return after Weber’s shot lacerates his ear (Update) 8
- Gillis pleads his case: ‘We are enduring a challenging period’ 23
- Nolan gets a game for punching ‘unsuspecting’ Joensuu 38
- It doesn’t sound like 3-on-3 overtime is going to be a thing 38
- Blues finish night on top of NHL standings after shootout win 15
- Kings’ Nolan gets double-minor for punching Oilers’ Joensuu 54
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (70)
- Report: Flyers table ‘substantial offer’ for Kesler, also inquiring about Edler (59)