Jan 14, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
It’s always something with Rick DiPietro. The news of his season-ending sports hernia surgery that broke last night apparently wasn’t the only thing wrong with the former No. 1 overall pick of the Islanders.
The Islanders announced that DiPietro’s abdominal surgery would put him out of action for 10 weeks, but also noted that he was also dealing with swelling in his oft injured knee as well. DiPietro’s knee problems have kept him on the shelf for large chunks of the last three seasons and seeing that they’ve flared up again should bother the Islanders more than the sports hernia.
The Isles obviously still have a massive financial commitment to DiPietro remaining as he has nine years left on his unbelievable 15-year contract, but if they’re going to get anything more from DiPietro in the future getting his knee healthy should take precedence.
At least with a sports hernia operation they know that that will fix the problem, but whatever is ailing his knee has been his biggest road block staying fully healthy over the years.
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 5
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 30
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 10
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 47
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 23
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? 70
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)