Jan 14, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
It’s always something with Rick DiPietro. The news of his season-ending sports hernia surgery that broke last night apparently wasn’t the only thing wrong with the former No. 1 overall pick of the Islanders.
The Islanders announced that DiPietro’s abdominal surgery would put him out of action for 10 weeks, but also noted that he was also dealing with swelling in his oft injured knee as well. DiPietro’s knee problems have kept him on the shelf for large chunks of the last three seasons and seeing that they’ve flared up again should bother the Islanders more than the sports hernia.
The Isles obviously still have a massive financial commitment to DiPietro remaining as he has nine years left on his unbelievable 15-year contract, but if they’re going to get anything more from DiPietro in the future getting his knee healthy should take precedence.
At least with a sports hernia operation they know that that will fix the problem, but whatever is ailing his knee has been his biggest road block staying fully healthy over the years.
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 2
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 30
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 96
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 11
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (96)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)