Jan 14, 2012, 11:11 AM EST
It’s always something with Rick DiPietro. The news of his season-ending sports hernia surgery that broke last night apparently wasn’t the only thing wrong with the former No. 1 overall pick of the Islanders.
The Islanders announced that DiPietro’s abdominal surgery would put him out of action for 10 weeks, but also noted that he was also dealing with swelling in his oft injured knee as well. DiPietro’s knee problems have kept him on the shelf for large chunks of the last three seasons and seeing that they’ve flared up again should bother the Islanders more than the sports hernia.
The Isles obviously still have a massive financial commitment to DiPietro remaining as he has nine years left on his unbelievable 15-year contract, but if they’re going to get anything more from DiPietro in the future getting his knee healthy should take precedence.
At least with a sports hernia operation they know that that will fix the problem, but whatever is ailing his knee has been his biggest road block staying fully healthy over the years.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers vs. Flyers in a Thanksgiving Showdown 0
- Garbutt suspended two games for ‘reckless’ knee-on-knee hit 1
- Report: Justin Schultz to be healthy scratch versus Preds 27
- PHT shares #WhyImThankful 8
- Roy: ‘They got away with things that we could not’ 18
- Video: Panthers’ Luongo leaves game due to injury (Updated) 0
- Video: Jets’ Lowry hits Sabres’ Kaleta from behind 6
- Video: Lightning pay tribute to St. Louis 6
- He’s baaaaack: Brodeur joins Blues on tryout basis 20
- Chelios calls ex-teammate Shanahan an inexperienced ‘politician’ 18
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (101)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch (46)