Jan 14, 2012, 11:11 AM EDT
It’s always something with Rick DiPietro. The news of his season-ending sports hernia surgery that broke last night apparently wasn’t the only thing wrong with the former No. 1 overall pick of the Islanders.
The Islanders announced that DiPietro’s abdominal surgery would put him out of action for 10 weeks, but also noted that he was also dealing with swelling in his oft injured knee as well. DiPietro’s knee problems have kept him on the shelf for large chunks of the last three seasons and seeing that they’ve flared up again should bother the Islanders more than the sports hernia.
The Isles obviously still have a massive financial commitment to DiPietro remaining as he has nine years left on his unbelievable 15-year contract, but if they’re going to get anything more from DiPietro in the future getting his knee healthy should take precedence.
At least with a sports hernia operation they know that that will fix the problem, but whatever is ailing his knee has been his biggest road block staying fully healthy over the years.
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 22
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 12
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 40
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 46
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 26
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow ends Orb's Triple Crown hopes
- PBT: Pacers top Knicks, punch ticket to conf. finals
- PST: Teary Beckham likely plays final game
- PFT: Pre-draft fears about Gronk coming true
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- CBT: Chance Coach K returns for '16 Games
- PHT: Couture strikes in OT, lifting Sharks in Game 3
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal