Jan 14, 2012, 6:30 PM EDT
The outcome was in doubt when Jonathan Toews scored with less than a minute left to force the game into overtime. But when Todd Bertuzzi buried his second of the game, he sent the Joe Louis faithful home happy for a 14th consecutive time as the Red Wings earned the 3-2 victory. The 14th straight home wins ties a 47-year old record in Detroit. Anytime an Original 6 team can tie a franchise record, you know things are going pretty well.
The Red Wings have a chance to break the franchise record on Monday when they face off against the Buffalo Sabres in Detroit.
Nicklas Lidstrom talked about the difference for the Red Wings at home after the game. “I think we’re playing more aggressive at home. We’re going after teams more. We’re forechecking harder and have the puck more.” Every team players better when they have the puck (and they’re not chasing), but it’s doubly important for a team like the Red Wings that depends so much on puck possession.
Of course, it doesn’t hurt when Jimmy Howard plays out of his mind.
Here are some moving pictures from Saturday afternoon’s game as Doc and Eddie break it down. Enjoy!
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Flyers’ Timonen admits chances of playing are ‘really slim’ 6
- Desjardins (a.k.a. not Torts) makes good first impression on Canucks 19
- Leafs deny rift between Kessel and coaching staff 10
- Injured Crosby, Malkin will miss start of Pens’ camp 8
- Selanne rips Boudreau in book 17
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? 36
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 11
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 20
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 24
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 25
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (54)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)