Jan 14, 2012, 6:30 PM EST
The outcome was in doubt when Jonathan Toews scored with less than a minute left to force the game into overtime. But when Todd Bertuzzi buried his second of the game, he sent the Joe Louis faithful home happy for a 14th consecutive time as the Red Wings earned the 3-2 victory. The 14th straight home wins ties a 47-year old record in Detroit. Anytime an Original 6 team can tie a franchise record, you know things are going pretty well.
The Red Wings have a chance to break the franchise record on Monday when they face off against the Buffalo Sabres in Detroit.
Nicklas Lidstrom talked about the difference for the Red Wings at home after the game. “I think we’re playing more aggressive at home. We’re going after teams more. We’re forechecking harder and have the puck more.” Every team players better when they have the puck (and they’re not chasing), but it’s doubly important for a team like the Red Wings that depends so much on puck possession.
Of course, it doesn’t hurt when Jimmy Howard plays out of his mind.
Here are some moving pictures from Saturday afternoon’s game as Doc and Eddie break it down. Enjoy!
This video is no longer available. Click here to watch more NBC Sports videos!
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 2
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 16
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)