Jan 14, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
It’s easy to pick out the leaders on defense for the Rangers. You look at Marc Staal, you look at Dan Girardi and move along. Michael Del Zotto would very much like to be a part of that discussion in the future.
Del Zotto is having a standout season as one of the Rangers’ offensive blue liners but as teammate Brian Boyle tells Andrew Gross of The Record, Del Zotto wants to be a whole lot more than just the offensive guy.
“He wants to be a complete player,” teammate Brian Boyle said. “He wants to be an All-Star player. He wants to be the Man.”
While Del Zotto has 23 points this season, including five goals, it’s his work on his defensive game that has him impressing his teammates. He’s fifth on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
For a guy that was sent to the AHL before being put out for the year with an injury, his marked improvement has been noticeable and is making the Rangers one of the top teams in the league. With the other injuries the Rangers have dealt with on the blue line, Del Zotto’s play might just wind up helping him be one of “the men” rather than “the man” in New York.
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 0
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 2
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 14
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 45
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Capitals investment: Holtby signs five-year, $30.5M deal 21
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (60)