Jan 14, 2012, 8:44 AM EST
It’s easy to pick out the leaders on defense for the Rangers. You look at Marc Staal, you look at Dan Girardi and move along. Michael Del Zotto would very much like to be a part of that discussion in the future.
Del Zotto is having a standout season as one of the Rangers’ offensive blue liners but as teammate Brian Boyle tells Andrew Gross of The Record, Del Zotto wants to be a whole lot more than just the offensive guy.
“He wants to be a complete player,” teammate Brian Boyle said. “He wants to be an All-Star player. He wants to be the Man.”
While Del Zotto has 23 points this season, including five goals, it’s his work on his defensive game that has him impressing his teammates. He’s fifth on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
For a guy that was sent to the AHL before being put out for the year with an injury, his marked improvement has been noticeable and is making the Rangers one of the top teams in the league. With the other injuries the Rangers have dealt with on the blue line, Del Zotto’s play might just wind up helping him be one of “the men” rather than “the man” in New York.
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 9
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 22
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 15
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 72
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 20
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Video: Penguins hold on to beat Capitals for first time this season 28
- Video: Fight erupts between Penguins and Capitals inside Pittsburgh’s bench 40
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (72)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)