Jan 14, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
It’s easy to pick out the leaders on defense for the Rangers. You look at Marc Staal, you look at Dan Girardi and move along. Michael Del Zotto would very much like to be a part of that discussion in the future.
Del Zotto is having a standout season as one of the Rangers’ offensive blue liners but as teammate Brian Boyle tells Andrew Gross of The Record, Del Zotto wants to be a whole lot more than just the offensive guy.
“He wants to be a complete player,” teammate Brian Boyle said. “He wants to be an All-Star player. He wants to be the Man.”
While Del Zotto has 23 points this season, including five goals, it’s his work on his defensive game that has him impressing his teammates. He’s fifth on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
For a guy that was sent to the AHL before being put out for the year with an injury, his marked improvement has been noticeable and is making the Rangers one of the top teams in the league. With the other injuries the Rangers have dealt with on the blue line, Del Zotto’s play might just wind up helping him be one of “the men” rather than “the man” in New York.
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 30
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)