Jan 14, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
It’s easy to pick out the leaders on defense for the Rangers. You look at Marc Staal, you look at Dan Girardi and move along. Michael Del Zotto would very much like to be a part of that discussion in the future.
Del Zotto is having a standout season as one of the Rangers’ offensive blue liners but as teammate Brian Boyle tells Andrew Gross of The Record, Del Zotto wants to be a whole lot more than just the offensive guy.
“He wants to be a complete player,” teammate Brian Boyle said. “He wants to be an All-Star player. He wants to be the Man.”
While Del Zotto has 23 points this season, including five goals, it’s his work on his defensive game that has him impressing his teammates. He’s fifth on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
For a guy that was sent to the AHL before being put out for the year with an injury, his marked improvement has been noticeable and is making the Rangers one of the top teams in the league. With the other injuries the Rangers have dealt with on the blue line, Del Zotto’s play might just wind up helping him be one of “the men” rather than “the man” in New York.
- Lightning’s Vasilevskiy out 2-3 months after getting blood clot removed 5
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 24
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)