Jan 14, 2012, 8:44 AM EDT
It’s easy to pick out the leaders on defense for the Rangers. You look at Marc Staal, you look at Dan Girardi and move along. Michael Del Zotto would very much like to be a part of that discussion in the future.
Del Zotto is having a standout season as one of the Rangers’ offensive blue liners but as teammate Brian Boyle tells Andrew Gross of The Record, Del Zotto wants to be a whole lot more than just the offensive guy.
“He wants to be a complete player,” teammate Brian Boyle said. “He wants to be an All-Star player. He wants to be the Man.”
While Del Zotto has 23 points this season, including five goals, it’s his work on his defensive game that has him impressing his teammates. He’s fifth on the team in hits and third in blocked shots.
For a guy that was sent to the AHL before being put out for the year with an injury, his marked improvement has been noticeable and is making the Rangers one of the top teams in the league. With the other injuries the Rangers have dealt with on the blue line, Del Zotto’s play might just wind up helping him be one of “the men” rather than “the man” in New York.
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 2
- (Report) Pens’ Rutherford to columnist: ‘You’re a (expletive) jerk’ 24
- Ducks silence Winnipeg’s whiteout crowd with OT win, push Jets to brink of elimination 26
- Video: Wild chase the Blues away to take series lead 42
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead 96
- Video: Jets fans celebrate return of playoff hockey with whiteout in Winnipeg 5
- Would McLellan like to coach McDavid? ‘You can have the best player and still not have the best team’ 23
- Burrows’ instigator suspension rescinded, allowed to play Game 4 24
- No hearing scheduled for Hamhuis after Bennett headshot 13
- Sharks and McLellan have ‘mutually agreed’ to part ways 50
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (172)
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (99)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (96)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (95)