Jan 14, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
After sending new scapegoat Mike Cammalleri out of town, an old one returns to the lineup for Montreal tonight.
Scott Gomez will return to the Canadiens’ lineup after being out since November 23 with a lower body injury. Gomez has been the focus of boos and general ill feelings in Montreal surrounding the Habs’ disappointing season. When you make over $7 million against the cap and put up wildly disappointing numbers in a hockey crazed market, these things happen.
Gomez returns to a team that’s in desperate need of things to go right for them. Seeing Gomez return to being a playmaker and penalty killer would do a lot to lift the spirits of the Canadiens, although with how things have gone in Montreal since his arrival, optimism isn’t easy to find.
Through just 13 games this season, Gomez has just four assists and is coming off a disappointing season that saw him net just 38 points last year while also ending up a -15 in plus/minus. If the poor play continues, perhaps Gomez can take a page out of Cammalleri’s book and tell it like it is to get traded himself.
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 0
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 45
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)