Jan 14, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
After sending new scapegoat Mike Cammalleri out of town, an old one returns to the lineup for Montreal tonight.
Scott Gomez will return to the Canadiens’ lineup after being out since November 23 with a lower body injury. Gomez has been the focus of boos and general ill feelings in Montreal surrounding the Habs’ disappointing season. When you make over $7 million against the cap and put up wildly disappointing numbers in a hockey crazed market, these things happen.
Gomez returns to a team that’s in desperate need of things to go right for them. Seeing Gomez return to being a playmaker and penalty killer would do a lot to lift the spirits of the Canadiens, although with how things have gone in Montreal since his arrival, optimism isn’t easy to find.
Through just 13 games this season, Gomez has just four assists and is coming off a disappointing season that saw him net just 38 points last year while also ending up a -15 in plus/minus. If the poor play continues, perhaps Gomez can take a page out of Cammalleri’s book and tell it like it is to get traded himself.
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 6
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 32
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 107
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 30
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 77
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 115