Jan 14, 2012, 11:37 AM EST
After sending new scapegoat Mike Cammalleri out of town, an old one returns to the lineup for Montreal tonight.
Scott Gomez will return to the Canadiens’ lineup after being out since November 23 with a lower body injury. Gomez has been the focus of boos and general ill feelings in Montreal surrounding the Habs’ disappointing season. When you make over $7 million against the cap and put up wildly disappointing numbers in a hockey crazed market, these things happen.
Gomez returns to a team that’s in desperate need of things to go right for them. Seeing Gomez return to being a playmaker and penalty killer would do a lot to lift the spirits of the Canadiens, although with how things have gone in Montreal since his arrival, optimism isn’t easy to find.
Through just 13 games this season, Gomez has just four assists and is coming off a disappointing season that saw him net just 38 points last year while also ending up a -15 in plus/minus. If the poor play continues, perhaps Gomez can take a page out of Cammalleri’s book and tell it like it is to get traded himself.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 13
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54