Jan 14, 2012, 11:37 AM EDT
After sending new scapegoat Mike Cammalleri out of town, an old one returns to the lineup for Montreal tonight.
Scott Gomez will return to the Canadiens’ lineup after being out since November 23 with a lower body injury. Gomez has been the focus of boos and general ill feelings in Montreal surrounding the Habs’ disappointing season. When you make over $7 million against the cap and put up wildly disappointing numbers in a hockey crazed market, these things happen.
Gomez returns to a team that’s in desperate need of things to go right for them. Seeing Gomez return to being a playmaker and penalty killer would do a lot to lift the spirits of the Canadiens, although with how things have gone in Montreal since his arrival, optimism isn’t easy to find.
Through just 13 games this season, Gomez has just four assists and is coming off a disappointing season that saw him net just 38 points last year while also ending up a -15 in plus/minus. If the poor play continues, perhaps Gomez can take a page out of Cammalleri’s book and tell it like it is to get traded himself.
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 18
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 16
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (47)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)