Jan 14, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
Things are awfully frustrating in Minnesota these days and Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is getting sick of seeing the losses pile up.
Fletcher got on his soap box and tore into the team he’s put together and is handing out some blame. Well, not some blame, a lot of it and he’s directing it towards the veteran players on the roster.
Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press gets the tirade from one angry man who says there’s “12 or 15 players not going hard.” Is a shake up on the horizon?
“If we can do something externally, great,” Fletcher said. “But we’ve got to be much better. And we have been much better. You don’t win 17 out of 20 games due to luck. Obviously, we’ve played well this year, and we’ve had success playing a certain way. So we know we can do it. The question is, how do we get back to doing it?”
One way to do it is to score more goals and the Wild have struggled at that especially with Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Guillaume Latendresse both out of the lineup with concussion-related issues. While Fletcher needs to add some scoring, guys like Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi, and Mikko Koivu could use a spark in their game.
The Wild need that spark soon because after a stretch that’s seen them go 2-9-3 they’re on the verge of being irrelevant in the Western playoff hunt.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 11
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 20
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 26
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 41
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 67
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 91
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 27
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (150)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (110)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)