Jan 14, 2012, 9:22 AM EDT
Things are awfully frustrating in Minnesota these days and Wild GM Chuck Fletcher is getting sick of seeing the losses pile up.
Fletcher got on his soap box and tore into the team he’s put together and is handing out some blame. Well, not some blame, a lot of it and he’s directing it towards the veteran players on the roster.
Ben Goessling of the St. Paul Pioneer Press gets the tirade from one angry man who says there’s “12 or 15 players not going hard.” Is a shake up on the horizon?
“If we can do something externally, great,” Fletcher said. “But we’ve got to be much better. And we have been much better. You don’t win 17 out of 20 games due to luck. Obviously, we’ve played well this year, and we’ve had success playing a certain way. So we know we can do it. The question is, how do we get back to doing it?”
One way to do it is to score more goals and the Wild have struggled at that especially with Pierre-Marc Bouchard and Guillaume Latendresse both out of the lineup with concussion-related issues. While Fletcher needs to add some scoring, guys like Dany Heatley, Devin Setoguchi, and Mikko Koivu could use a spark in their game.
The Wild need that spark soon because after a stretch that’s seen them go 2-9-3 they’re on the verge of being irrelevant in the Western playoff hunt.
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 8
- Sounds like it’s Rundblad, not TVR, in for Chicago on defense 15
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ 39
- Report: Sharks to name DeBoer head coach 17
- Video: Lundqvist helps lead Rangers back to New York for Game 7 6
- Lightning get taken to ‘school of hard knocks’ in third-period collapse 11
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 11
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 38
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ (49)