Jan 14, 2012, 4:37 PM EDT
Chris Pronger is usually the kind of guy to give you a sarcastic remark in a post-game scrum.
Now that he’s out of action for the rest of the season thanks to severe post-concussion syndrome, he’s speaking up honestly about how he’s feeling in the wake of his brutal diagnosis.
“It is very, very tough right now. I don’t feel well and it hurts so much not to be playing.”
Knowing what’s ailing Pronger and seeing just this one, simple statement makes the whole situation that much more difficult to see. The problems Pronger had this year with taking a puck in the eye and his other assorted injuries on top of his concussion diagnosis makes a renowned villain into a sympathetic character.
- MacKinnon, Johnson and Palat named Calder Trophy finalists 3
- Sharks beat Kings in OT, take 3-0 stranglehold on series 38
- Rangers chase Emery, top Flyers for 2-1 series lead 54
- Bruins dominate Red Wings, take 2-1 series lead 42
- And then there were 15: Lightning eliminated 75
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at Los Angeles Kings (Game 3) 2
- Bettman says shootouts are staying, gives salary cap estimate 34
- Video: Yeo asked if Cooke told to ‘target’ Avs, does not like question 48
- On Matt Cooke and whether he’s a ‘repeat offender’ 59
- Marleau, O’Reilly and St. Louis named Lady Byng finalists 20
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (127)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)