Jan 14, 2012, 4:37 PM EDT
Chris Pronger is usually the kind of guy to give you a sarcastic remark in a post-game scrum.
Now that he’s out of action for the rest of the season thanks to severe post-concussion syndrome, he’s speaking up honestly about how he’s feeling in the wake of his brutal diagnosis.
“It is very, very tough right now. I don’t feel well and it hurts so much not to be playing.”
Knowing what’s ailing Pronger and seeing just this one, simple statement makes the whole situation that much more difficult to see. The problems Pronger had this year with taking a puck in the eye and his other assorted injuries on top of his concussion diagnosis makes a renowned villain into a sympathetic character.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 2
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 11
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 29
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 40
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 39
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)