Jan 14, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is trying to do things to change the team’s fortunes. He’s trying.
Howson pulled the trigger and grabbed former Wild first-round pick Colton Gillies off of waivers. Unfortunately for the Blue Jackets, Gillies was on waivers from the Wild for a reason – he hasn’t been very good.
In 89 career games with the Wild, Gillies has just three goals and seven assists. He’s a career fourth line grinder type of forward and going to Columbus in that sort of role is curious as the Blue Jackets have plenty of guys who fill that need as it is.
Howson must be banking on Gillies’ familiarity with interim coach Todd Richards and having a change of scenery to maybe unlock his career. Gillies played in just seven games for Richards last season in Minnesota.
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 0
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 18
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 24
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 6
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 12
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 21
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8