Jan 14, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is trying to do things to change the team’s fortunes. He’s trying.
Howson pulled the trigger and grabbed former Wild first-round pick Colton Gillies off of waivers. Unfortunately for the Blue Jackets, Gillies was on waivers from the Wild for a reason – he hasn’t been very good.
In 89 career games with the Wild, Gillies has just three goals and seven assists. He’s a career fourth line grinder type of forward and going to Columbus in that sort of role is curious as the Blue Jackets have plenty of guys who fill that need as it is.
Howson must be banking on Gillies’ familiarity with interim coach Todd Richards and having a change of scenery to maybe unlock his career. Gillies played in just seven games for Richards last season in Minnesota.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 0
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 18
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 30
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 15
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 30
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 94
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (91)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- LIVE: Heat host Pacers in Game 1 of East finals
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger