Jan 14, 2012, 1:09 PM EDT
Blue Jackets GM Scott Howson is trying to do things to change the team’s fortunes. He’s trying.
Howson pulled the trigger and grabbed former Wild first-round pick Colton Gillies off of waivers. Unfortunately for the Blue Jackets, Gillies was on waivers from the Wild for a reason – he hasn’t been very good.
In 89 career games with the Wild, Gillies has just three goals and seven assists. He’s a career fourth line grinder type of forward and going to Columbus in that sort of role is curious as the Blue Jackets have plenty of guys who fill that need as it is.
Howson must be banking on Gillies’ familiarity with interim coach Todd Richards and having a change of scenery to maybe unlock his career. Gillies played in just seven games for Richards last season in Minnesota.
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 9
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 9
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 59
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Caps landing ‘affordable’ Williams a sign of the new free agency 4
- Shots fired! ‘Canes owner Karmanos rips into Jim Rutherford (Updated) 59
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 30
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)