Jan 14, 2012, 2:17 PM EDT
Henrique will miss tonight’s game against Winnipeg with a groin pull according to head coach Peter DeBoer. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger reports that Nick Palmieri will rejoin the Devils lineup and Dainius Zubrus will move into the middle once again to play center.
“I’m disappointed we’re missing three centermen right now and guys have to fill in,” DeBoer said. “That’s how it goes. It’s a war of attrition here in the NHL. You have to do what you have to do and in this case Zubrus is going to have to go in and play some center. He’s done it before. Hopefully we won’t miss a beat.”
The Devils’ depth up the middle was looking awfully good when Zajac initially returned. With Zajac, Henrique, and Elias all playing well up the middle, the Devils centers were set to be some of the best in the league. Now they’re dealing with injuries that leave them a bit hampered offensively.
Henrique has been challenging injured Oilers rookie Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for top honors as a first year player. If Henrique manages to miss more than today’s game, that will throw a wrench into the Calder Trophy race.
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 20
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 19
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 44
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 121
- WATCH LIVE: Columbus Blue Jackets at Pittsburgh Penguins (Game 2) 4
- Blues come back to stun Blackhawks 4-3 in overtime, take 2-0 series lead 36
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 2) 4
- Flyers’ Mason out of Game 2, Emery to start again 51
- Lucic fined $5,000 for spearing DeKeyser 79
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 7