Jan 14, 2012, 2:17 PM EST
Henrique will miss tonight’s game against Winnipeg with a groin pull according to head coach Peter DeBoer. Rich Chere of The Star-Ledger reports that Nick Palmieri will rejoin the Devils lineup and Dainius Zubrus will move into the middle once again to play center.
“I’m disappointed we’re missing three centermen right now and guys have to fill in,” DeBoer said. “That’s how it goes. It’s a war of attrition here in the NHL. You have to do what you have to do and in this case Zubrus is going to have to go in and play some center. He’s done it before. Hopefully we won’t miss a beat.”
The Devils’ depth up the middle was looking awfully good when Zajac initially returned. With Zajac, Henrique, and Elias all playing well up the middle, the Devils centers were set to be some of the best in the league. Now they’re dealing with injuries that leave them a bit hampered offensively.
Henrique has been challenging injured Oilers rookie Ryan Nugent-Hopkins for top honors as a first year player. If Henrique manages to miss more than today’s game, that will throw a wrench into the Calder Trophy race.
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)