Jan 13, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
A month ago, Mike Yeo was the leading contender for coach of the year.
The Wild suffered its 12th loss in its last 14 games Thursday night in Chicago, a stretch that’s seen Minnesota fall from first in the league to eighth in the Western Conference, just one point clear of ninth-place Dallas…which has two games in hand.
“Everything we needed to do to win this game, we didn’t do,” Yeo said after losing 5-2 to the Blackhawks, as per the StarTribune. “We have to play the right way, and we have to have everybody. And tonight, we didn’t even come close to playing the right way, and we didn’t come close to having everybody.”
Forward Devin Setoguchi agreed his team didn’t play the system “the way we’re supposed to play.”
Translation: the Wild didn’t work hard enough. Because at the end of the day, that’s what Yeo’s system entails. Its goal is to take time and space away from the opponent, pressuring the puck while staying structured. Not pretty and not fun to play, but effective when everyone’s on board.
Over at Sports Club Stats, here’s what the Wild’s chances to make the playoffs throughout the season look like in chart form:
Even RIM thinks that’s a steep decline.
- Kings’ Dustin Brown: ‘We got our [expletives] kicked’ 9
- Feeding frenzy: Sharks devour Kings to take 2-0 series lead 19
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 24
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 40
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 64
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 90
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 25
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (148)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (101)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)