Jan 13, 2012, 11:48 AM EST
A month ago, Mike Yeo was the leading contender for coach of the year.
The Wild suffered its 12th loss in its last 14 games Thursday night in Chicago, a stretch that’s seen Minnesota fall from first in the league to eighth in the Western Conference, just one point clear of ninth-place Dallas…which has two games in hand.
“Everything we needed to do to win this game, we didn’t do,” Yeo said after losing 5-2 to the Blackhawks, as per the StarTribune. “We have to play the right way, and we have to have everybody. And tonight, we didn’t even come close to playing the right way, and we didn’t come close to having everybody.”
Forward Devin Setoguchi agreed his team didn’t play the system “the way we’re supposed to play.”
Translation: the Wild didn’t work hard enough. Because at the end of the day, that’s what Yeo’s system entails. Its goal is to take time and space away from the opponent, pressuring the puck while staying structured. Not pretty and not fun to play, but effective when everyone’s on board.
Over at Sports Club Stats, here’s what the Wild’s chances to make the playoffs throughout the season look like in chart form:
Even RIM thinks that’s a steep decline.
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 1
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 34
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 50
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 58
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)