Jan 13, 2012, 11:48 AM EDT
A month ago, Mike Yeo was the leading contender for coach of the year.
The Wild suffered its 12th loss in its last 14 games Thursday night in Chicago, a stretch that’s seen Minnesota fall from first in the league to eighth in the Western Conference, just one point clear of ninth-place Dallas…which has two games in hand.
“Everything we needed to do to win this game, we didn’t do,” Yeo said after losing 5-2 to the Blackhawks, as per the StarTribune. “We have to play the right way, and we have to have everybody. And tonight, we didn’t even come close to playing the right way, and we didn’t come close to having everybody.”
Forward Devin Setoguchi agreed his team didn’t play the system “the way we’re supposed to play.”
Translation: the Wild didn’t work hard enough. Because at the end of the day, that’s what Yeo’s system entails. Its goal is to take time and space away from the opponent, pressuring the puck while staying structured. Not pretty and not fun to play, but effective when everyone’s on board.
Over at Sports Club Stats, here’s what the Wild’s chances to make the playoffs throughout the season look like in chart form:
Even RIM thinks that’s a steep decline.
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 10
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 12
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 24
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)