Jan 13, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
The 2012 Winter Classic was a glorious event that was partly marred by an ugly brawl between Philadelphia Flyers fans and New York Rangers fans. The incident gained even more notoriety when it was revealed one of the brawl’s victims was a former Marine that was injured in Iraq.
NBC Philadelphia reports that police have issued an arrest warrant for a man they believe threw the first punch in the incident.
Police say tips led them to the South Philadelphia Bar and Grill — which is almost directly across the street from Geno’s — where the suspect and friends were allegedly drinking on the day of the fight. A search warrant uncovered a credit card receipt for a bill totaling more than $225 that was paid just before 7 on the night of the fight.
That credit card matched the name of the man believed to have thrown the first punch at about 7:15 p.m., police sources said.
The suspect reportedly has a record that includes arrests involving “drugs, robbery with a gun and aggravated assault.”
Here’s video of the fight in case you didn’t get a chance to see it. Warning: there is some very graphic violence in this clip.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 3
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)