Jan 13, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
The 2012 Winter Classic was a glorious event that was partly marred by an ugly brawl between Philadelphia Flyers fans and New York Rangers fans. The incident gained even more notoriety when it was revealed one of the brawl’s victims was a former Marine that was injured in Iraq.
NBC Philadelphia reports that police have issued an arrest warrant for a man they believe threw the first punch in the incident.
Police say tips led them to the South Philadelphia Bar and Grill — which is almost directly across the street from Geno’s — where the suspect and friends were allegedly drinking on the day of the fight. A search warrant uncovered a credit card receipt for a bill totaling more than $225 that was paid just before 7 on the night of the fight.
That credit card matched the name of the man believed to have thrown the first punch at about 7:15 p.m., police sources said.
The suspect reportedly has a record that includes arrests involving “drugs, robbery with a gun and aggravated assault.”
Here’s video of the fight in case you didn’t get a chance to see it. Warning: there is some very graphic violence in this clip.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (77)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)