Jan 13, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
The 2012 Winter Classic was a glorious event that was partly marred by an ugly brawl between Philadelphia Flyers fans and New York Rangers fans. The incident gained even more notoriety when it was revealed one of the brawl’s victims was a former Marine that was injured in Iraq.
NBC Philadelphia reports that police have issued an arrest warrant for a man they believe threw the first punch in the incident.
Police say tips led them to the South Philadelphia Bar and Grill — which is almost directly across the street from Geno’s — where the suspect and friends were allegedly drinking on the day of the fight. A search warrant uncovered a credit card receipt for a bill totaling more than $225 that was paid just before 7 on the night of the fight.
That credit card matched the name of the man believed to have thrown the first punch at about 7:15 p.m., police sources said.
The suspect reportedly has a record that includes arrests involving “drugs, robbery with a gun and aggravated assault.”
Here’s video of the fight in case you didn’t get a chance to see it. Warning: there is some very graphic violence in this clip.
- Video: Islanders’ Hickey cut after taking a skate to the face 0
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 27
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)