Jan 13, 2012, 12:46 AM EST
The 2012 Winter Classic was a glorious event that was partly marred by an ugly brawl between Philadelphia Flyers fans and New York Rangers fans. The incident gained even more notoriety when it was revealed one of the brawl’s victims was a former Marine that was injured in Iraq.
NBC Philadelphia reports that police have issued an arrest warrant for a man they believe threw the first punch in the incident.
Police say tips led them to the South Philadelphia Bar and Grill — which is almost directly across the street from Geno’s — where the suspect and friends were allegedly drinking on the day of the fight. A search warrant uncovered a credit card receipt for a bill totaling more than $225 that was paid just before 7 on the night of the fight.
That credit card matched the name of the man believed to have thrown the first punch at about 7:15 p.m., police sources said.
The suspect reportedly has a record that includes arrests involving “drugs, robbery with a gun and aggravated assault.”
Here’s video of the fight in case you didn’t get a chance to see it. Warning: there is some very graphic violence in this clip.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 37
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 43
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 22
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 84
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)