Jan 13, 2012, 12:46 AM EDT
The 2012 Winter Classic was a glorious event that was partly marred by an ugly brawl between Philadelphia Flyers fans and New York Rangers fans. The incident gained even more notoriety when it was revealed one of the brawl’s victims was a former Marine that was injured in Iraq.
NBC Philadelphia reports that police have issued an arrest warrant for a man they believe threw the first punch in the incident.
Police say tips led them to the South Philadelphia Bar and Grill — which is almost directly across the street from Geno’s — where the suspect and friends were allegedly drinking on the day of the fight. A search warrant uncovered a credit card receipt for a bill totaling more than $225 that was paid just before 7 on the night of the fight.
That credit card matched the name of the man believed to have thrown the first punch at about 7:15 p.m., police sources said.
The suspect reportedly has a record that includes arrests involving “drugs, robbery with a gun and aggravated assault.”
Here’s video of the fight in case you didn’t get a chance to see it. Warning: there is some very graphic violence in this clip.
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 8
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 25
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 5
- Oilers ink Schultz to one-year deal 2
- It’s Boston Bruins day on PHT 41
- Fanspeak: Dominik Hasek voted greatest Sabre in franchise history 35
- Is Colorado’s rise a fair example of what might happen in Buffalo? 7
- It’s Buffalo Sabres day on PHT 19
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 13
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6