Jan 13, 2012, 10:56 AM EDT
It’s not getting any better for the New Jersey Devils, financially speaking.
According to the New York Post, owner Jeff Vanderbeek still hasn’t figured out a way to make good on an $80 million debt payment.
The league, meanwhile, is growing impatient with Vanderbeek.
“[NHL Commissioner Gary] Bettman basically told him to figure out a resolution by mid-February or he’ll do what needs to be done,” a source told the Post.
Which sort of makes the commissioner sound like Tony Soprano, but according to the Post, “what needs to be done” could involve a league takeover of the team (as opposed to taking Vanderbeek for a ride in a 1978 Cadillac Coupe de Ville).
The NHL denies it’s given Vanderbeek an ultimatum, but any way you slice it, it’s not good news for Devils fans who are praying the team can find a way to sign pending UFA Zach Parise.
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)