Jan 13, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
Based on various reports, it’s all but official that the 2013 Winter Classic will be hosted by the Detroit Red Wings with the Toronto Maple Leafs as the opponents.
What’s slightly less clear is where the game will be played. The NHL appears to want it at Michigan Stadium, which seats over 100,000 and would make for quite the made-for-TV spectacle.
On the other hand, Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch also own the Detroit Tigers. The baseball team plays at Comerica Park, a stadium in downtown Detroit that Ilitch operates.
According to an ESPN source, there might be a solution – host the Winter Classic at both facilities. The big game could be played at Michigan Stadium, with events like the alumni game and/or Great Lakes Invitational college tournament held at Comerica.
“There is a definite sensitivity to making sure Detroit isn’t left out in the cold, as it were, given the long-time loyalty shown the beleaguered city by the Ilitch family,” notes ESPN.
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 3
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)