Jan 13, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
Based on various reports, it’s all but official that the 2013 Winter Classic will be hosted by the Detroit Red Wings with the Toronto Maple Leafs as the opponents.
What’s slightly less clear is where the game will be played. The NHL appears to want it at Michigan Stadium, which seats over 100,000 and would make for quite the made-for-TV spectacle.
On the other hand, Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch also own the Detroit Tigers. The baseball team plays at Comerica Park, a stadium in downtown Detroit that Ilitch operates.
According to an ESPN source, there might be a solution – host the Winter Classic at both facilities. The big game could be played at Michigan Stadium, with events like the alumni game and/or Great Lakes Invitational college tournament held at Comerica.
“There is a definite sensitivity to making sure Detroit isn’t left out in the cold, as it were, given the long-time loyalty shown the beleaguered city by the Ilitch family,” notes ESPN.
- Sens’ Alfredsson: We probably won’t win this series 13
- Discuss: Penguins overwhelm Senators to take Game 4 46
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting 65
- Gillis: Vigneault fired because results weren’t there 19
- Official: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 32
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 99
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 38
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 62
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 15
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (92)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (81)
- LeBron stuns Pacers with OT winner in Game 1
- Pens overwhelm Sens, take 3-1 series lead
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- HBT: Canseco suspect in Vegas sexual assault
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games