Jan 13, 2012, 3:11 PM EDT
Based on various reports, it’s all but official that the 2013 Winter Classic will be hosted by the Detroit Red Wings with the Toronto Maple Leafs as the opponents.
What’s slightly less clear is where the game will be played. The NHL appears to want it at Michigan Stadium, which seats over 100,000 and would make for quite the made-for-TV spectacle.
On the other hand, Red Wings owner Mike Ilitch also own the Detroit Tigers. The baseball team plays at Comerica Park, a stadium in downtown Detroit that Ilitch operates.
According to an ESPN source, there might be a solution – host the Winter Classic at both facilities. The big game could be played at Michigan Stadium, with events like the alumni game and/or Great Lakes Invitational college tournament held at Comerica.
“There is a definite sensitivity to making sure Detroit isn’t left out in the cold, as it were, given the long-time loyalty shown the beleaguered city by the Ilitch family,” notes ESPN.
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 36
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (38)