P.K. Subban could face suspension for elbowing David Krejci

Jan 13, 2012, 12:11 AM EDT

Andrew Ference, P.K. Subban, Max Pacioretty, Milan Lucic AP

Montreal Canadiens defenseman P.K. Subban received his fair share of boos when he touched the puck when tonight’s game against the Boston Bruins started, but he’ll almost certainly hear more in future meetings. He didn’t exactly earn bonus points for “turtling” after this elbow on David Krejci, either. The question is: will a call from Brendan Shanahan be in his near future?

Obviously Subban’s hit wasn’t the biggest story involving the Habs on Thursday, but it could have an impact on the team if he gets suspended.

1. danphipps01 - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:31 AM

Let’s recap: Subban threw an arm up on the hit. Ference steps in and takes a shot at Subban, Subban keeps his feet for a moment, then sails to the ice clutching his head after a rather conspicuous delay, then later gets up, unharmed, laughing, and trash-talking now that he’s sure the refs are between him and anyone he might have to answer to. Just another night for P.K. Subban.

• 1943mrmojorisin1971 - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:34 AM

I liked this guy when he was winning golds for Canada at the World Juniors. It’s a shame he’s become such an absolutely classless clown since then.

• danphipps01 - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:44 AM

No kidding. Problem is, he came into Montreal at the height of a glory run to the Conference Finals and, Habs fans being Habs fans, he absorbed vastly more than his fair share of credit for it. Now he’s essentially a saint there and they genuinely believe that everyone else just hates him ’cause he’s great and they wish they had him on their team.

Except, no, that’s the opposite of true. People hate him for being the Raffi Torres of defensemen. But to hear a Canadiens homer tell it, they all hate him because they’re jealous or because he’s black.

• solador78 - Jan 13, 2012 at 9:05 AM

Cut Subban some slack, because it was an obvious equipment malfunction with his elbow pad and it wasn’t his fault that Krejci jumped head-first into the stanchion.

• mjdkid100 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Quick Solador, someone call 911!

• mjdkid100 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:27 AM

Quick Solador, call 911!

• mjdkid100 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:28 AM

Double post, my bad. Ill thumb down myself.

• drewzducks - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:35 AM

I think that’s how they’re trained up there now that they’ve become the irrelevant Habnots. Most disgraceful was his delayed “is anyone looking” flop in the playoffs last year. Kordic must be rolling over in his grave over that one.

• solador78 - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:48 AM

Actually, this was the most disgraceful flop in last year’s playoffs:

The Bruins have never beaten the Habs straight-up.

• solador78 - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:01 PM

Here’s the Crosby hit:

The NHL is obviously not better off.

• bcjim - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:06 PM

PHT record for thumbs up vs down. Man, people hate Subban.

• solador78 - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:09 PM

PHT readers also think that he slipped on compost.

• danphipps01 - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:52 PM

I ran a +108 on ONE POST. That’s a first. Usually you gets hate me! D:

2. bigtganks - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:49 AM

Jack Edwards’ dog can NOT be happy about seeing that.

3. drewsylvania - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:52 AM

Guy is a disgrace.

• bigtganks - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:56 AM

Wow, that was quite the turtle. I mean, he had his head covered after everyone cleared out. Then hops up yapping? O_o

• danphipps01 - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Big, scary Ference was gone, see? No-one was going to hit him for talking big, so it was okay!

4. drewzducks - Jan 13, 2012 at 12:59 AM

Was he curled up in the fetal or fecal position ? If he stayed down there any longer he would have been run over by the zamboni.

• drewsylvania - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:00 AM

One can dream.

5. danphipps01 - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:35 AM

I wonder where all those single downvotes came from? Who could it have been? We have a mystery on our hands, gents. What fell villain would do such a- oh, wait, hang on, I have a pretty good idea.

• drewzducks - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:43 AM

Habsnotwomen ?

6. yettyskills - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:39 AM

LOL @ Subban allowing himself to get dragged like a dog while in full turtle.
    Has no self respect at all

7. mornelithe - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:17 AM

What a sad display, I wonder if Subban actually consider’s himself part of the male gender. Though, that’s actually unfair, I know women with more balls than that guy. Maybe he’s a eunuch.

8. stakex - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:50 AM

Subban should be suspended a game for being the games biggest chicken ****.

9. xxshookonexx - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:28 AM

Well, i think everything has been covered in the comments so i’ll just comment for the sake of commenting.

10. cshearing - Jan 13, 2012 at 8:00 AM

I have defended Subban in the past, but he is getting suspended for that elbow, and the turtling afterwards was shameful. Playing like a loser, eh Cammelleri?

11. govtminion - Jan 13, 2012 at 8:19 AM

That was the best Claude Lemieux imitation I’ve seen in ages. Dirty hit against the bench, check. Turtle, check. Taunting opposing players immediately after, check. Great work!

12. pastabelly - Jan 13, 2012 at 8:59 AM

At least three games for that elbow.

13. dolanster - Jan 13, 2012 at 11:03 AM

Ferrence’s comments from the box to Subban I think were, “You can smile all you want, but I’m knocking those chicklets down your throat next time I have the chance.”

14. mornelithe - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:24 PM

Subban: [Su'ban]
    Verb

1. To antagonize, provoke, or incite a response only to run away for help when a response comes. Typically associated with children, adolescents, and siblings.

Synonyms: See: Sedin’s, Canadian Hockey

Usage: My little brother kept hitting me when my parents weren’t watching, so when I went to smack him around, he Subban’d and complained to my parents that I was beating up on him.

15. hystoracle - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:31 PM

Wow, a story involving the Bruins without one mention of the Canucks in the comment section. Haven’t seen that for a while.

Everyone getting on Subban for turtling – rightly so. But no one seems to have an issue with the actual hit. Interesting..

• elvispocomo - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:45 PM

You didn’t read close enough:
      “danphipps01 – Jan 13, 2012 at 1:01 AM

Seriously, guy’s a less defensively-competent Maxim Lapierre. At least he’s got a good shot, I guess.”

But i guess that could have been a slag at the Canadiens still since he had played there before.

16. elvispocomo - Jan 13, 2012 at 5:06 PM

I’m not sure I’d call it an elbow so much as a head shot since he at least doesn’t extend his arm out from his body (until after the hit that is). That’s not really in his favour, but if anything is it’s that Krejci extends himself to move the puck before he does get hit and that lowers his upper body a little.

I’d still say Subban has no reason (and neither do many players) to be fully extended like he is – legs straightened prior to impact and shoulder leaning as well – when he could have stayed in a lower position and at least extended during the hit.

He knows he’s going to get a reaction from the Bruins so he protects himself, but he didn’t do that very well since he ended up on the ice covering up anyways.

Bettman hears the boos in Philly
Top 10 NHL Player Searches