Jan 13, 2012, 2:43 PM EDT
Losing to the Carolina Hurricanes — the second-worst team in the Eastern Conference — is never a good thing.
Losing to the ‘Canes at home — they’re the East’s worst team on the road — is also quite bad.
So, what about Carolina coming into your rink and blowing you out? Where does that rank?
Just ask Tampa Bay head coach Guy Boucher, who watched his Lightning lose 5-2 to the ‘Canes last night.
“This is the hardest one to take this year,” Boucher told the Tampa Tribune. “I don’t think we’re being very respectful to teams like Carolina, and we can’t have that. We’re not in a position to think we’re better than any team.”
Tampa’s effort was bad on a number of fronts. Carolina scored five goals after going 14 straight without scoring more than four. Goalie Mathieu Garon allowed three goals on eight shots before getting the hook for Dwayne Roloson, who promptly allowed a goal 68 seconds after coming in. Vincent Lecavalier was minus-3, Pavel Kubina was minus-3 and for the first time in his past seven home games, Steven Stamkos went scoreless.
The latter two expressed dismay at the Lightning’s performance.
“We lost all the battles and it’s unacceptable,” said Kubina. “We didn’t deserve any points tonight.”
“I don’t know what it is,” said Stamkos. “We play a good game against one of the best teams in the league [Vancouver] the other night and then we have this effort.”
Things don’t get much easier for the Bolts in the coming days. They’ve got the surging Caps (6-3-1 over last 10) tonight, then host the Penguins and Bruins.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 44
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 63
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 27
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (63)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)