Jan 13, 2012, 9:51 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman took in tonight’s Florida Panthers-Pittsburgh Penguins game and the biggest takeaway is a bummer for big dreamers hoping to see an improbable Winter Classic in the not-so-frosty state of Florida.
Here’s Miami Herald beat writer George Richards’ take via Twitter:
The Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Harvey Filakov provides more of an explanation, even if it’s a bit confusing:
Well, OK then. Still, some of us will continue to dream of an outdoor hockey game with palm trees and journalists wondering around in bad Hawaiian T-shirts.
(It’s good to dream every now and then.)
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 8
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 21
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 18
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55
- Fanspeak: Clarke voted greatest Flyer in franchise history 40