Jan 13, 2012, 9:51 PM EDT
NHL commissioner Gary Bettman took in tonight’s Florida Panthers-Pittsburgh Penguins game and the biggest takeaway is a bummer for big dreamers hoping to see an improbable Winter Classic in the not-so-frosty state of Florida.
Here’s Miami Herald beat writer George Richards’ take via Twitter:
The Florida Sun-Sentinel’s Harvey Filakov provides more of an explanation, even if it’s a bit confusing:
Well, OK then. Still, some of us will continue to dream of an outdoor hockey game with palm trees and journalists wondering around in bad Hawaiian T-shirts.
(It’s good to dream every now and then.)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 10
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 15
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 3
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 11
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 18
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 61
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 25