Jan 13, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla is staying in Calgary, says Flames general manager Jay Feaster.
“Iggy is going nowhere and we are going for it,’ Feaster told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in the wake of the Flames’ acquisition of Mike Cammalleri from Montreal.
Following last night’s win over Anaheim, Calgary sits 12th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot.
“Going for it” will be questioned by those who think the Flames need to rebuild, as trading away Iginla could fetch a decent collection of draft picks and/or prospects.
It’s also worth noting that, last year, the market for Iginla was limited by the number of teams with the cap space to make room for his $7 million hit. This year, there’s no shortage of teams with room.
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 0
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 0
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 0
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 24
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh 112
- Oshie and Berglund out, Tarasenko in for Blues tonight vs. ‘Hawks 9
- Ducks hold off spirited Stars comeback, take 1-0 series lead 12
- Weise gives Canadiens 1-0 series lead with overtime win 7