Jan 13, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla is staying in Calgary, says Flames general manager Jay Feaster.
“Iggy is going nowhere and we are going for it,’ Feaster told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in the wake of the Flames’ acquisition of Mike Cammalleri from Montreal.
Following last night’s win over Anaheim, Calgary sits 12th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot.
“Going for it” will be questioned by those who think the Flames need to rebuild, as trading away Iginla could fetch a decent collection of draft picks and/or prospects.
It’s also worth noting that, last year, the market for Iginla was limited by the number of teams with the cap space to make room for his $7 million hit. This year, there’s no shortage of teams with room.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 12
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 17
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 15
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 92
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5