Jan 13, 2012, 12:55 PM EDT
Jarome Iginla is staying in Calgary, says Flames general manager Jay Feaster.
“Iggy is going nowhere and we are going for it,’ Feaster told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun in the wake of the Flames’ acquisition of Mike Cammalleri from Montreal.
Following last night’s win over Anaheim, Calgary sits 12th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot.
“Going for it” will be questioned by those who think the Flames need to rebuild, as trading away Iginla could fetch a decent collection of draft picks and/or prospects.
It’s also worth noting that, last year, the market for Iginla was limited by the number of teams with the cap space to make room for his $7 million hit. This year, there’s no shortage of teams with room.
- It’s Ottawa Senators day on PHT 1
- Report: Leiweke to head up Olympic bid in Los Angeles 11
- In praise of John Tavares 14
- It’s New York Islanders Day at PHT 26
- McDavid on teams possibly tanking for him: ‘It’s pretty crazy’ 19
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history 39
- Under Pressure: Mike Johnston 17
- It’s Pittsburgh Penguins Day at PHT 33
- Captain no more: Sharks strip Thornton of ‘C’ 47
- Tank defense: NHL changes up Draft Lottery format 55