Crosby addresses media: Feeling better, but not symptom-free

Jan 13, 2012, 2:08 PM EDT

Crosby Press

After skating for 27 minutes today during Penguins practice in Florida, Sidney Crosby spoke to the media and addressed the latest in his concussion recovery.

“Symptoms are a lot better but no, I wouldn’t say symptom-free,” Crosby told reporters. “I’m allowed to exert. That’s a positive when you’ve been sitting around a bit.”

Crosby went on to say he’s experiencing fewer headaches and balance issues. He also feels less frustrated with this most recent stint on the injured list because he’s better versed in concussion recuperation.

“It was so new and [I had] so many questions and not a lot of answers,” Crosby said of his first go-round. “It’s a tough injury. It’s not clear-cut all the time. Being more familiar helps a bit.”

No. 87 also fielded questions about the current state of the Penguins. Earlier today, a report from the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review said some of Crosby’s teammates felt he should be playing — the article also said the Pens went so far as to hold discussions regarding a temporary replacement captain.

But during the pregame skate, the Penguins showed some solidarity by wearing makeshift Cs on their jerseys, a move Crosby appreciated.

“That was a nice gesture, especially at a time like this when times are tough, there’s adversity with injuries, a few losses,” he said. “We stick together, it’s a good sign.”

1. eagleswineagleswin - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:12 PM

HILARIOUS. I hope he is never symptom free and never plays again. If he does play again I look forward to the ESPN coverage of the hero who delivers the final head shot to this cry babies career.

• andyp03 - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:20 PM

Damn dude, that’s kind of harsh, no? I’m a hardcore Flyers fan and I don’t hope that for the guy. He’s a superior talent (albeit who whines a lot) but he’s also just good for our PA rivalry and good for the game of hockey in general. It always feels good beating the Pens, but it feels way better when we beat the Pens with Crosby on the ice.

• cshearing - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

That’s not harsh, it is the whining of a child. Ironic given the nature of this post.

• topperstyle - Jan 14, 2012 at 6:00 AM

I believe cshearing’s post got some disrespect because of clarity issues. What he is saying is that “eagleswineagleswin”‘s post is not harsh, it is the whining of a child. Which is then ironic because “eagleswineagleswin”‘s post talks a lot about crying. Are we good? Good.

• drewzducks - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:29 PM

Yo 8…lay off the booze…things will get better…your ride is here…Pelle’s warming up the car for you.

• sfbookreviews - Jan 14, 2012 at 1:37 AM

Your parents must be so proud, they did a heck of a job raising you. Then again, since you’re a Philly fan, they just may be proud of you.

2. tmjm621 - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:25 PM

Id say the same thing for most of the bruins team….but on a serious note. I think he should jus stop for the season. End of story. Im sick of all this crosby this, crosby that shit everywhere. Let him heal til next sept/oct alone and slowly. Gt back to 100%. Shutup about him. Freakin media doesnt shutup about him. They seem to forget theres hundreds of other players in the league.

3. buffalomafia - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Cynthia Crosby, yeah thats right Cynthia Crosby is a great hockey player but is the biggest cry baby in the game!

Now everytime a player checks Cynthia they will get penalized or fined! Just watch & see!

4. xxshookonexx - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:28 PM

Eagleswinalmostnever is just being “mr. extreme” to get attention. Check out his colorful comments on the guy who beat up the Rangers fan. Best to ignore.

5. soxpatsbscelts - Jan 13, 2012 at 2:36 PM

Just retire.

6. gnazarov - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:03 PM

I do not really like Crosby, not the biggest fan of him at all. That being said, the NHL needs him and I think the NHL is a better and more desirable league to the casual fan when he is playing.

• stakex - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:46 PM

I’ve said it before and I will say it again… the NHL does not “NEED” Crosby. Crosby being healthy will certainly not hurt the NHL, but the league has done great the last year without him. Hockey is not, and never has been, tied to the fate of one player. I like the golf example. Tiger Woods misses a few months and the world of golf comes crashing down. THAT is a sport that is clearly tied to one player. Hockey on the other hand has showed no signs of being slowed by the loss of Crosby.

Hockey draws its fans to one of thirty markets. People might have a favorite player in a specific market… but very few fans are drawn to hockey for the sole purpose of watching one player. Pittsburgh might see some falloff from the loss of Crosby (they still sellout every game btw)… but the league as a whole won’t. Its not like the Red Wings or Ducks or Rangers, or Panthers are suddenly going to see a financial drop off because Crosby is hurt. Just doesn’t work that way with hockey.

• blomfeld - Jan 14, 2012 at 12:54 AM

good comments stakex …

7. arsement - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:06 PM

This story has just started to become annoying to me. I like Crosby and think he’s great for the game. But why is it that you see 30 other guys in the league who experienced concussions like he has, and they are coming back within 3-8 games… yet he has been sidelined practically for a year?

I with the unnamed Pens who think he should be playing.

• abrienza428 - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:43 PM

Pronger? Perron? Savard? Marc Staal? Letang for that matter?

• arsement - Jan 13, 2012 at 5:04 PM

Great point. I rescind my statement… maybe it has to do with me being impatient because I do think the game needs him.

• stakex - Jan 13, 2012 at 4:50 PM

Every concussion is different. Its not like a broken foot, or a torn ACL which heal at a predictable pace. One concussion might heal in a matter of days, while another might take months… or even years to become symptom free.

8. rexadelphia8 - Jan 13, 2012 at 6:20 PM

Crosby gets more coverage for not playing then athletes who do. Hang up the skates, I’m sick of hearing about you

• blomfeld - Jan 14, 2012 at 12:55 AM

friend … I concur with your assessment too …

• podevil - Jan 14, 2012 at 10:59 AM

Crosby gets more coverage because the Canadian media and the know it all talk radio hosts keep his situation alive. He has not said anything to the media since he was hurt in December, until yesterday.. I agree with a previous poster that Sid should just sit out the rest of this year, and get well.. and to those who put Sid down, and say he should retire, or another moron poster who says that someone would be a hero if they put him out with a shot to the head…Really? That’s not harsh..that is just stupid! He may be one of the greatest hockey players to ever put on a pair of skates..And if he was on your team, you wouldn’t be making these moronic statements…..Grow up!

9. buffalomafia - Jan 14, 2012 at 2:08 PM

Hey podevil with all the crying he does his new name is Cynthia Crosby! Biaaaaatch!

Top 10 NHL Player Searches