Jan 13, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
CSN Chicago is reporting that Blackhawks winger Dan Carcillo will undergo surgery on his ACL and miss the remainder of the season. Carcillo suffered the injury on a hit to Edmonton defenseman Tom Gilbert — a hit that earned him a seven-game suspension, his second suspension of the season.
Brough wrote about the possibility of Carcillo going under the knife two days ago, so the news doesn’t come as a huge shock, but it’s still a significant downer for a guy that started the season with such promise. Early on, Carcillo was skating on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and producing effectively — he was one of the team leaders in plus-minus and showed a noted improvement in discipline…until he got a two-game suspension for boarding Joni Pitkanen, that is.
Looking ahead, Carcillo’s future is murky. He signed in Chicago on a one-year deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — this probably goes without saying, but UFAs coming off major knee surgery with reputations like Carcillo’s aren’t exactly the hottest of commodities. Carbomb even said he was giving serious thought to changing his last name after the Pitkanen suspension, as he felt the punishment was mostly based on reputation.
- Canucks ready to face Luongo on Sunday 1
- West update: Stars blow lead yet still improve hold on wild card spot 4
- East update: Red Wings eke out shootout win for key points 0
- Luongo continues to foil Schneider as Panthers damage Devils’ playoff hopes 3
- TGIF: In which we salivate over potential playoff matchups 10
- Backstrom to receive silver medal, IOC says Sweden doctor ‘made a serious error’ 29
- Pens lose Neal to concussion 61
- Here are the top 10 and bottom 10 goalies in even-strength save percentage 22
- Weekend preview: Flyers-Pens rivalry renewed, Bruins look to stay hot 13
- Video: Stamkos scores first goal since returning to Lightning lineup 4
- Here are three ‘major changes’ the NHL should consider (98)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (74)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (62)
- Pens lose Neal to concussion (61)
- Video: Dryden on why hockey should ‘give up the fighting, but keep the fight’ (57)