Jan 13, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
CSN Chicago is reporting that Blackhawks winger Dan Carcillo will undergo surgery on his ACL and miss the remainder of the season. Carcillo suffered the injury on a hit to Edmonton defenseman Tom Gilbert — a hit that earned him a seven-game suspension, his second suspension of the season.
Brough wrote about the possibility of Carcillo going under the knife two days ago, so the news doesn’t come as a huge shock, but it’s still a significant downer for a guy that started the season with such promise. Early on, Carcillo was skating on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and producing effectively — he was one of the team leaders in plus-minus and showed a noted improvement in discipline…until he got a two-game suspension for boarding Joni Pitkanen, that is.
Looking ahead, Carcillo’s future is murky. He signed in Chicago on a one-year deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — this probably goes without saying, but UFAs coming off major knee surgery with reputations like Carcillo’s aren’t exactly the hottest of commodities. Carbomb even said he was giving serious thought to changing his last name after the Pitkanen suspension, as he felt the punishment was mostly based on reputation.
- With training camps looming, a look at some key unsigned RFAs 7
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 14
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 40
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 28
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 15
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 31