Jan 13, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
CSN Chicago is reporting that Blackhawks winger Dan Carcillo will undergo surgery on his ACL and miss the remainder of the season. Carcillo suffered the injury on a hit to Edmonton defenseman Tom Gilbert — a hit that earned him a seven-game suspension, his second suspension of the season.
Brough wrote about the possibility of Carcillo going under the knife two days ago, so the news doesn’t come as a huge shock, but it’s still a significant downer for a guy that started the season with such promise. Early on, Carcillo was skating on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and producing effectively — he was one of the team leaders in plus-minus and showed a noted improvement in discipline…until he got a two-game suspension for boarding Joni Pitkanen, that is.
Looking ahead, Carcillo’s future is murky. He signed in Chicago on a one-year deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — this probably goes without saying, but UFAs coming off major knee surgery with reputations like Carcillo’s aren’t exactly the hottest of commodities. Carbomb even said he was giving serious thought to changing his last name after the Pitkanen suspension, as he felt the punishment was mostly based on reputation.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 2
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 40
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)