Jan 13, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
CSN Chicago is reporting that Blackhawks winger Dan Carcillo will undergo surgery on his ACL and miss the remainder of the season. Carcillo suffered the injury on a hit to Edmonton defenseman Tom Gilbert — a hit that earned him a seven-game suspension, his second suspension of the season.
Brough wrote about the possibility of Carcillo going under the knife two days ago, so the news doesn’t come as a huge shock, but it’s still a significant downer for a guy that started the season with such promise. Early on, Carcillo was skating on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and producing effectively — he was one of the team leaders in plus-minus and showed a noted improvement in discipline…until he got a two-game suspension for boarding Joni Pitkanen, that is.
Looking ahead, Carcillo’s future is murky. He signed in Chicago on a one-year deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — this probably goes without saying, but UFAs coming off major knee surgery with reputations like Carcillo’s aren’t exactly the hottest of commodities. Carbomb even said he was giving serious thought to changing his last name after the Pitkanen suspension, as he felt the punishment was mostly based on reputation.
- Bolts strike Stanley Cup Final berth thanks to Game 7 win over Rangers 15
- The Ducks got Kesler for a game like Saturday’s 30
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win 54
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 12
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 46
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 18
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 10
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 6
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 1
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (77)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Duchene slams Russian players for storming off after Canada’s 2015 WHC win (54)