Jan 13, 2012, 5:42 PM EDT
CSN Chicago is reporting that Blackhawks winger Dan Carcillo will undergo surgery on his ACL and miss the remainder of the season. Carcillo suffered the injury on a hit to Edmonton defenseman Tom Gilbert — a hit that earned him a seven-game suspension, his second suspension of the season.
Brough wrote about the possibility of Carcillo going under the knife two days ago, so the news doesn’t come as a huge shock, but it’s still a significant downer for a guy that started the season with such promise. Early on, Carcillo was skating on a line with Patrick Kane and Marian Hossa and producing effectively — he was one of the team leaders in plus-minus and showed a noted improvement in discipline…until he got a two-game suspension for boarding Joni Pitkanen, that is.
Looking ahead, Carcillo’s future is murky. He signed in Chicago on a one-year deal and will be an unrestricted free agent this summer — this probably goes without saying, but UFAs coming off major knee surgery with reputations like Carcillo’s aren’t exactly the hottest of commodities. Carbomb even said he was giving serious thought to changing his last name after the Pitkanen suspension, as he felt the punishment was mostly based on reputation.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 49
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)