Jan 13, 2012, 9:03 PM EDT
The rumors keep building that the Toronto Maple Leafs are shopping around Luke Schenn, especially after GM Brian Burke said that he wants to make a move for the present, not the future. That being said, Burke is adamant that he’s not looking to trade the hard-hitting young defenseman, as he told TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
Burke did confirm that he spoke with Schenn today, but he did so to tell him that they aren’t planning on getting rid of him – although he couldn’t guarantee anything.
That was the basic theme of Burke’s discussion with Siegel; he claims that the plan isn’t to move Schenn, but he gave himself an out by saying that could all change with one phone call. Burke said that the team is “listening” to all kinds of trade offers but that there’s a big difference between taking calls and making calls.
Burke isn’t one to pull many punches, beyond the obvious need not to totally reveal his hand in ongoing negotiations. Feel free to take his semi-denial any way you’d like, but Burke said that “nothing is imminent.”
The outspoken GM didn’t deny one, thing, though: if the NHL wants the Maple Leafs to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic, he’s all for it.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 1
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 22
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 30
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 3
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 1
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)