Jan 13, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
The rumors keep building that the Toronto Maple Leafs are shopping around Luke Schenn, especially after GM Brian Burke said that he wants to make a move for the present, not the future. That being said, Burke is adamant that he’s not looking to trade the hard-hitting young defenseman, as he told TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
Burke did confirm that he spoke with Schenn today, but he did so to tell him that they aren’t planning on getting rid of him – although he couldn’t guarantee anything.
That was the basic theme of Burke’s discussion with Siegel; he claims that the plan isn’t to move Schenn, but he gave himself an out by saying that could all change with one phone call. Burke said that the team is “listening” to all kinds of trade offers but that there’s a big difference between taking calls and making calls.
Burke isn’t one to pull many punches, beyond the obvious need not to totally reveal his hand in ongoing negotiations. Feel free to take his semi-denial any way you’d like, but Burke said that “nothing is imminent.”
The outspoken GM didn’t deny one, thing, though: if the NHL wants the Maple Leafs to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic, he’s all for it.
- Wild coach accuses Sharks of embellishment 29
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 24
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 42
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)