Jan 13, 2012, 9:03 PM EST
The rumors keep building that the Toronto Maple Leafs are shopping around Luke Schenn, especially after GM Brian Burke said that he wants to make a move for the present, not the future. That being said, Burke is adamant that he’s not looking to trade the hard-hitting young defenseman, as he told TSN’s Jonas Siegel.
Burke did confirm that he spoke with Schenn today, but he did so to tell him that they aren’t planning on getting rid of him – although he couldn’t guarantee anything.
That was the basic theme of Burke’s discussion with Siegel; he claims that the plan isn’t to move Schenn, but he gave himself an out by saying that could all change with one phone call. Burke said that the team is “listening” to all kinds of trade offers but that there’s a big difference between taking calls and making calls.
Burke isn’t one to pull many punches, beyond the obvious need not to totally reveal his hand in ongoing negotiations. Feel free to take his semi-denial any way you’d like, but Burke said that “nothing is imminent.”
The outspoken GM didn’t deny one, thing, though: if the NHL wants the Maple Leafs to participate in the 2013 Winter Classic, he’s all for it.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 3
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 57
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 28
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 16
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)