Jan 13, 2012, 6:29 PM EST
The Washington Capitals will definitely be without Mike Green the rest of January. And if that wasn’t bad enough, the timetable for Nicklas Backstrom’s return might be similar, reports CSNWashington.com.
Backstrom has been day-to-day with concussion symptoms since getting a Rene Bourque elbow in the chin on Jan. 3.
“We’re just being real careful with him, still,” Caps coach Dale Hunter said, adding it might make the most sense to keep his leading scorer out until after the All-Star break.
“Yeah, the All-Star break is close and we’ll monitor him day-to-day to see how he is,” Hunter said. “As it gets closer that could be the call, but we don’t know for sure.”
The Capitals have seven games before the All-Star Game (Jan. 29). They’re 1-2-0 since Backstron’s been out, with just five goals combined in those three games.
Washington’s first game after the break is Jan. 31 in Tampa Bay.
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 18
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 32
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 47
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)