Jan 12, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Dennis Wideman thought he’d been traded when his phone rang and his general manager’s name popped up.
It wouldn’t have been a first for the Capitals’ 28-year-old defenseman, who’s already been sent packing three times during his NHL career.
Except George McPhee wasn’t calling to say sayonara; he was calling to say Wideman had been picked for the All-Star team.
“I was pretty surprised,” Wideman said, as reported by the Washington Post. “I got the call from George and think you guys all know, you’ve talked to George, he’s pretty even keeled. When he called me I was like ‘Oh man, where am I going now?’”
Forced to play big minutes in the absence of Mike Green, Wideman has piled up 29 points, the fifth most among NHL defensemen.
Meanwhile, in other Capitals news, there’s no timetable set for the return of Green (groin) or Nicklas Backstrom (concussion), and Dennis Wideman has been traded.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 152
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 119
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 89
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (181)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (152)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (119)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)