Jan 12, 2012, 5:00 PM EDT
Dennis Wideman thought he’d been traded when his phone rang and his general manager’s name popped up.
It wouldn’t have been a first for the Capitals’ 28-year-old defenseman, who’s already been sent packing three times during his NHL career.
Except George McPhee wasn’t calling to say sayonara; he was calling to say Wideman had been picked for the All-Star team.
“I was pretty surprised,” Wideman said, as reported by the Washington Post. “I got the call from George and think you guys all know, you’ve talked to George, he’s pretty even keeled. When he called me I was like ‘Oh man, where am I going now?’”
Forced to play big minutes in the absence of Mike Green, Wideman has piled up 29 points, the fifth most among NHL defensemen.
Meanwhile, in other Capitals news, there’s no timetable set for the return of Green (groin) or Nicklas Backstrom (concussion), and Dennis Wideman has been traded.
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 1
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 6
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 54
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination