Jan 12, 2012, 5:00 PM EST
Dennis Wideman thought he’d been traded when his phone rang and his general manager’s name popped up.
It wouldn’t have been a first for the Capitals’ 28-year-old defenseman, who’s already been sent packing three times during his NHL career.
Except George McPhee wasn’t calling to say sayonara; he was calling to say Wideman had been picked for the All-Star team.
“I was pretty surprised,” Wideman said, as reported by the Washington Post. “I got the call from George and think you guys all know, you’ve talked to George, he’s pretty even keeled. When he called me I was like ‘Oh man, where am I going now?’”
Forced to play big minutes in the absence of Mike Green, Wideman has piled up 29 points, the fifth most among NHL defensemen.
Meanwhile, in other Capitals news, there’s no timetable set for the return of Green (groin) or Nicklas Backstrom (concussion), and Dennis Wideman has been traded.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)