Jan 12, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, the Columbus Blue Jackets wouldn’t have any.
Today, center RJ Umberger left practice early and didn’t return. Shortly thereafter, interim head coach Todd Richards informed reporters that Umberger “wasn’t feeling right” and would be out indefinitely with concussion-like symptoms.
“He wasn’t feeling right, and by that, I mean it was his head,” Richards said. “He’s got concussion-like symptoms. He’ll be on the shelf for a little bit here.”
Umberger will be held out of Friday’s home game against the Coyotes, stopping his franchise-record ironman streak at 288 games. The 29-year-old hasn’t missed a contest since being traded to Columbus from Philadelphia in 2008.
The injury puts a further damper on Columbus’ forgettable season. The Blue Jackets are the NHL’s worst team, winning just 11 times in 42 contests, and now without four of their top players: Umberger (concussion), James Wisniewski (broken ankle), Jeff Carter (separated shoulder) and Kristian Huselius (lower body).
The timing of these injuries couldn’t be worse. On Jan. 21, Columbus will set out on a six-game road trip — its longest of the season — that will see them travel to Detroit, Nashville, Tampa Bay, San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim over a 13-day span.
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 13
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 2
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 3
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 26
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 19
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 17
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 75
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)