Jan 12, 2012, 2:54 PM EDT
If it wasn’t for bad luck, the Columbus Blue Jackets wouldn’t have any.
Today, center RJ Umberger left practice early and didn’t return. Shortly thereafter, interim head coach Todd Richards informed reporters that Umberger “wasn’t feeling right” and would be out indefinitely with concussion-like symptoms.
“He wasn’t feeling right, and by that, I mean it was his head,” Richards said. “He’s got concussion-like symptoms. He’ll be on the shelf for a little bit here.”
Umberger will be held out of Friday’s home game against the Coyotes, stopping his franchise-record ironman streak at 288 games. The 29-year-old hasn’t missed a contest since being traded to Columbus from Philadelphia in 2008.
The injury puts a further damper on Columbus’ forgettable season. The Blue Jackets are the NHL’s worst team, winning just 11 times in 42 contests, and now without four of their top players: Umberger (concussion), James Wisniewski (broken ankle), Jeff Carter (separated shoulder) and Kristian Huselius (lower body).
The timing of these injuries couldn’t be worse. On Jan. 21, Columbus will set out on a six-game road trip — its longest of the season — that will see them travel to Detroit, Nashville, Tampa Bay, San Jose, Los Angeles and Anaheim over a 13-day span.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)