Jan 12, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
After a short stint in the doghouse, Minnesota winger Devin Setoguchi emerged to make amends with his teammates.
“There’s no excuse,” Setoguchi said after being made a healthy scratch for missing a team meeting. “We have one job, and that’s to come to the rink.
“It’s my fault. I paid for it. Now I’ll try to get back in the trust of the coach and the team. I’ve just got to earn it back with some hard work.”
Setoguchi was supposed to be in the lineup Tuesday against his former team, the San Jose Sharks, but something went awry. According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, multiple sources said Setoguchi was out with some of his ex-Sharks mates the night before, fueling speculation the mini-reunion caused him to miss Tuesday morning’s team meeting.
“You feel bad all day. You never want it to happen to you,” Setoguchi said. “You’ve got to be accountable, especially when things aren’t going right. It’s unacceptable and inexcusable and thankfully enough, I got bailed out by our team [with a win over San Jose]. It was nice to watch. It was just too bad I couldn’t be out there.”
Many have credited Wild head coach Mike Yeo for making the disciplinary move when he did. It was a bold decision; Minnesota had been struggling offensively and Setoguchi was playing well, recording one assist and nine shots on goal in the previous two contests.
But it seems one of hockey’s favorite buzz terms — accountability — trumped all else.
- Peverley to undergo heart procedure, will miss rest of season 5
- Comeau gets two games for boarding Smith 7
- Three things the Canucks haven’t done well under Torts 15
- Gillis won’t say if Tortorella’s lost Canucks room 27
- Stars win one night after Peverley collapse, give Miller first Blues loss 6
- Crosby, Pens continue recent dominance of Ovechkin, Caps 30
- Terry Trafford’s body found in Michigan on Tuesday 8
- PHT Extra: What happens if the Caps miss the playoffs? 18
- Wings can’t afford regulation loss to Jackets 6
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter 61
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Chiasson ‘shaken up’ by Peverley incident, won’t dress for Stars tonight (73)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (71)
- ‘It’s obvious Tortorella can’t come back next year,’ writes Vancouver reporter (61)