Jan 12, 2012, 10:47 AM EDT
After a short stint in the doghouse, Minnesota winger Devin Setoguchi emerged to make amends with his teammates.
“There’s no excuse,” Setoguchi said after being made a healthy scratch for missing a team meeting. “We have one job, and that’s to come to the rink.
“It’s my fault. I paid for it. Now I’ll try to get back in the trust of the coach and the team. I’ve just got to earn it back with some hard work.”
Setoguchi was supposed to be in the lineup Tuesday against his former team, the San Jose Sharks, but something went awry. According to Mike Russo of the Minnesota Star-Tribune, multiple sources said Setoguchi was out with some of his ex-Sharks mates the night before, fueling speculation the mini-reunion caused him to miss Tuesday morning’s team meeting.
“You feel bad all day. You never want it to happen to you,” Setoguchi said. “You’ve got to be accountable, especially when things aren’t going right. It’s unacceptable and inexcusable and thankfully enough, I got bailed out by our team [with a win over San Jose]. It was nice to watch. It was just too bad I couldn’t be out there.”
Many have credited Wild head coach Mike Yeo for making the disciplinary move when he did. It was a bold decision; Minnesota had been struggling offensively and Setoguchi was playing well, recording one assist and nine shots on goal in the previous two contests.
But it seems one of hockey’s favorite buzz terms — accountability — trumped all else.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 5
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)