Jan 12, 2012, 11:21 AM EST
Buffalo Sabres head coach Lindy Ruff knows Patrick Kaleta has a reputation throughout the NHL.
Now he’s concerned that reputation is affecting Kaleta’s ability to play the game.
After watching Kaleta receive two charging penalties in three games — calls he deemed questionable — Ruff told reporters he thinks Kaleta has a target on his back.
“Kaleta just can’t hit anybody anymore. He can’t,” Ruff told the Buffalo News. “Everytime he hits somebody it’s a penalty. He knows that. He can’t hit anymore.”
Kaleta most recent charging penalty came after he hit Mikhail Grabovski during the third period of Tuesday’s 2-0 loss to Toronto. Ruff was outraged by the call.
“I don’t think good hits should be taken out of the game,” he said. “I understand there’s a level of concern with what’s gone on with concussions but you can’t take good hits out of the game.”
That said, Ruff must know this situation is more about the player than the hits. Kaleta is widely regarded as one of the league’s dirtiest, annoying and most despised individuals and was recently suspended four games for serial headbutting.
In response to Kaleta (seemingly) getting penalized every time he hits someone, Ruff expressed concern that his chief agitator might be drummed out of the league.
“He’s going to have to change the way he hits,” Ruff explained. “He can’t come from a distance it looks like…it is disappointing.
“I’m worried. He’s a marked man, definitely a marked man.”
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 1
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 25
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 85
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (85)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)