Jan 12, 2012, 7:18 PM EDT
Interesting story out of New York, where it’s being reported by WFAN that “the Islanders are in discussions to host a preseason game next season at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, the future home of the NBA’s New Jersey Nets.”
Could the Barclays Center be the solution to the Isles’ arena woes? The club’s lease at the obsolete Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum runs out at the end of the 2014-15 season.
Now, last I checked, the capacity for hockey in the Barclays Center is just 14,500, as it designed with basketball in mind. So that could be an issue.
Currently, the NHL’s smallest building is the MTS Centre in Winnipeg (15,004).
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 14
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 8
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 9
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 17
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 22
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)