Jan 12, 2012, 7:18 PM EST
Interesting story out of New York, where it’s being reported by WFAN that “the Islanders are in discussions to host a preseason game next season at the new Barclays Center in Brooklyn, the future home of the NBA’s New Jersey Nets.”
Could the Barclays Center be the solution to the Isles’ arena woes? The club’s lease at the obsolete Nassau Veterans Memorial Coliseum runs out at the end of the 2014-15 season.
Now, last I checked, the capacity for hockey in the Barclays Center is just 14,500, as it designed with basketball in mind. So that could be an issue.
Currently, the NHL’s smallest building is the MTS Centre in Winnipeg (15,004).
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 0
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 9
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 42
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 32
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 63
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 31
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 45