Jan 12, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
It was considered a positive step yesterday when Sidney Crosby joined the Pengins on the road to resume light skating. But to hear Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero tell it, No. 87 wishes his progress was much further along.
“Sid is a hockey player and he wants to play hockey,” Shero told the Penguins website. “He wanted to join our team because we’re in a tough stretch. He badly wants to play and be out there. But he’s not cleared to play. We want to be very careful. Once he’s cleared to play, he’ll be the most excited guy on the ice.”
Shero re-iterated there’s no timetable for Crosby’s return. No. 87 has been doing light exercise in the weight room and — on Friday — will take to the ice for the first time since having post-concussion symptoms after a Dec. 5 game against Boston.
Shero also stated that while recovery is moving in the right direction, the setback has been tough on Crosby.
“He wants to be on the ice,” Shero said. “He’s frustrated. As captain you want to help your team in best of times, let alone a tough streak. He feels that responsibility. When he’s cleared to play he’ll play. We can’t wait to have him back.”
Crosby is expected to speak to the media tomorrow after Pittsburgh’s morning skate in Florida.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)