Jan 12, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
It was considered a positive step yesterday when Sidney Crosby joined the Pengins on the road to resume light skating. But to hear Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero tell it, No. 87 wishes his progress was much further along.
“Sid is a hockey player and he wants to play hockey,” Shero told the Penguins website. “He wanted to join our team because we’re in a tough stretch. He badly wants to play and be out there. But he’s not cleared to play. We want to be very careful. Once he’s cleared to play, he’ll be the most excited guy on the ice.”
Shero re-iterated there’s no timetable for Crosby’s return. No. 87 has been doing light exercise in the weight room and — on Friday — will take to the ice for the first time since having post-concussion symptoms after a Dec. 5 game against Boston.
Shero also stated that while recovery is moving in the right direction, the setback has been tough on Crosby.
“He wants to be on the ice,” Shero said. “He’s frustrated. As captain you want to help your team in best of times, let alone a tough streak. He feels that responsibility. When he’s cleared to play he’ll play. We can’t wait to have him back.”
Crosby is expected to speak to the media tomorrow after Pittsburgh’s morning skate in Florida.
- Video: Flames, Canucks combine for over 100 PIM in wild line brawl 15
- Preds torch Crawford, Hawks; even series at 1-1 29
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) 87
- Huge loss for Preds as Weber (lower body) knocked out of Game 2 7
- Sabres? Oilers? Coyotes? Leafs? ‘Canes? — McDavid would be happy to play for any of them 37
- Stone a game-time decision, Sens downplay retaliation for Subban slash 25
- Flyers fire Berube 49
- Klingberg signs seven-year, $29.75 million extension with Stars 10
- Video: Perry paces Ducks to victory over Jets with four-point night 14
- Video: Wild hold off late push from Blues 38
- Stone suffered microfracture on Subban slash, Sens confirm (102)
- Report: Players growing tired of Darryl Sutter (94)
- Report: Kings’ Stoll arrested for cocaine, MDMA possession (Updated) (87)
- Bruins fire Chiarelli after missing playoffs (75)
- PHT Morning Skate: Ottawa Sun runs with front page headline ‘Heads Up, P.K.’ (74)