Jan 12, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
It was considered a positive step yesterday when Sidney Crosby joined the Pengins on the road to resume light skating. But to hear Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero tell it, No. 87 wishes his progress was much further along.
“Sid is a hockey player and he wants to play hockey,” Shero told the Penguins website. “He wanted to join our team because we’re in a tough stretch. He badly wants to play and be out there. But he’s not cleared to play. We want to be very careful. Once he’s cleared to play, he’ll be the most excited guy on the ice.”
Shero re-iterated there’s no timetable for Crosby’s return. No. 87 has been doing light exercise in the weight room and — on Friday — will take to the ice for the first time since having post-concussion symptoms after a Dec. 5 game against Boston.
Shero also stated that while recovery is moving in the right direction, the setback has been tough on Crosby.
“He wants to be on the ice,” Shero said. “He’s frustrated. As captain you want to help your team in best of times, let alone a tough streak. He feels that responsibility. When he’s cleared to play he’ll play. We can’t wait to have him back.”
Crosby is expected to speak to the media tomorrow after Pittsburgh’s morning skate in Florida.
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 0
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 32
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)