Jan 12, 2012, 5:27 PM EDT
It was considered a positive step yesterday when Sidney Crosby joined the Pengins on the road to resume light skating. But to hear Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero tell it, No. 87 wishes his progress was much further along.
“Sid is a hockey player and he wants to play hockey,” Shero told the Penguins website. “He wanted to join our team because we’re in a tough stretch. He badly wants to play and be out there. But he’s not cleared to play. We want to be very careful. Once he’s cleared to play, he’ll be the most excited guy on the ice.”
Shero re-iterated there’s no timetable for Crosby’s return. No. 87 has been doing light exercise in the weight room and — on Friday — will take to the ice for the first time since having post-concussion symptoms after a Dec. 5 game against Boston.
Shero also stated that while recovery is moving in the right direction, the setback has been tough on Crosby.
“He wants to be on the ice,” Shero said. “He’s frustrated. As captain you want to help your team in best of times, let alone a tough streak. He feels that responsibility. When he’s cleared to play he’ll play. We can’t wait to have him back.”
Crosby is expected to speak to the media tomorrow after Pittsburgh’s morning skate in Florida.
- Happy now? Kessel dropped 13 lbs. this summer 11
- Rich Peverley retires from NHL, joins Stars’ front office 9
- Update: Multiple witnesses reportedly subpoenaed in Patrick Kane rape investigation 35
- Jonathan Toews talks about the Patrick Kane situation 28
- Voynov detained by U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement 26
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 31
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 119
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 82
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (119)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (82)
- Report: Hawks’ Kane has not been asked to waive his no-move clause (49)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (43)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (41)