Jan 12, 2012, 5:27 PM EST
It was considered a positive step yesterday when Sidney Crosby joined the Pengins on the road to resume light skating. But to hear Pittsburgh GM Ray Shero tell it, No. 87 wishes his progress was much further along.
“Sid is a hockey player and he wants to play hockey,” Shero told the Penguins website. “He wanted to join our team because we’re in a tough stretch. He badly wants to play and be out there. But he’s not cleared to play. We want to be very careful. Once he’s cleared to play, he’ll be the most excited guy on the ice.”
Shero re-iterated there’s no timetable for Crosby’s return. No. 87 has been doing light exercise in the weight room and — on Friday — will take to the ice for the first time since having post-concussion symptoms after a Dec. 5 game against Boston.
Shero also stated that while recovery is moving in the right direction, the setback has been tough on Crosby.
“He wants to be on the ice,” Shero said. “He’s frustrated. As captain you want to help your team in best of times, let alone a tough streak. He feels that responsibility. When he’s cleared to play he’ll play. We can’t wait to have him back.”
Crosby is expected to speak to the media tomorrow after Pittsburgh’s morning skate in Florida.
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 21
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 1
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Eichel earns assist and scores in shootout as U.S. squeaks by Finland 2
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 5
- Devils fire DeBoer 21
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 7
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 21
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)