Jan 12, 2012, 12:12 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby watched as the Pittsburgh Penguins were shut out by the Washington Capitals tonight, but some might hope that the concussed star will come to the rescue since he’s at least exercising again. Rugged defenseman Brooks Orpik believes that might be a foolish hope, though.
“I don’t think he’s anywhere close to coming back,” Orpik said. “You can’t really wait for him.”
That 1-0 loss marks the first time the Penguins failed to score this season, but things have been trending down quite a bit lately, with just six goals scored during an 0-6-0 streak.
Naturally, it doesn’t all boil down to Crosby as Kris Letang (concussion) and Jordan Staal (knee injury) are among the injured Penguins. It’s fair to say that the Penguins miss Letang quite a bit, too, as he’s an outstanding catalyst for the team’s offense from the blueline.
Perhaps Orpik’s statement was more about the Penguins needing to put all these issues out of their minds, but considering the state of things in Pittsburgh, his proclamation adds another ugly layer to all the doom and gloom.
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 59
- Discuss: Sharks win in OT, draw series to 2-1 19
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 44
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 56
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 27
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 26
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Play Video: Highlights: Sharks take critical Game 3 in OT
- Play Video: Stuart lands huge hit on Williams
- Play Video: Toffoli gets Kings on the board
- Play Video: Sharks take advantage of early penalty
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal