Jan 12, 2012, 12:12 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby watched as the Pittsburgh Penguins were shut out by the Washington Capitals tonight, but some might hope that the concussed star will come to the rescue since he’s at least exercising again. Rugged defenseman Brooks Orpik believes that might be a foolish hope, though.
“I don’t think he’s anywhere close to coming back,” Orpik said. “You can’t really wait for him.”
That 1-0 loss marks the first time the Penguins failed to score this season, but things have been trending down quite a bit lately, with just six goals scored during an 0-6-0 streak.
Naturally, it doesn’t all boil down to Crosby as Kris Letang (concussion) and Jordan Staal (knee injury) are among the injured Penguins. It’s fair to say that the Penguins miss Letang quite a bit, too, as he’s an outstanding catalyst for the team’s offense from the blueline.
Perhaps Orpik’s statement was more about the Penguins needing to put all these issues out of their minds, but considering the state of things in Pittsburgh, his proclamation adds another ugly layer to all the doom and gloom.
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- The King is back: Lundqvist starts for Rangers Saturday 7
- Five big games to watch this weekend 7
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 32
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 16
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 58
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)