Jan 12, 2012, 12:12 AM EDT
Sidney Crosby watched as the Pittsburgh Penguins were shut out by the Washington Capitals tonight, but some might hope that the concussed star will come to the rescue since he’s at least exercising again. Rugged defenseman Brooks Orpik believes that might be a foolish hope, though.
“I don’t think he’s anywhere close to coming back,” Orpik said. “You can’t really wait for him.”
That 1-0 loss marks the first time the Penguins failed to score this season, but things have been trending down quite a bit lately, with just six goals scored during an 0-6-0 streak.
Naturally, it doesn’t all boil down to Crosby as Kris Letang (concussion) and Jordan Staal (knee injury) are among the injured Penguins. It’s fair to say that the Penguins miss Letang quite a bit, too, as he’s an outstanding catalyst for the team’s offense from the blueline.
Perhaps Orpik’s statement was more about the Penguins needing to put all these issues out of their minds, but considering the state of things in Pittsburgh, his proclamation adds another ugly layer to all the doom and gloom.
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 4
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 6
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 14
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 1
- Dale Hunter: Ovechkin isn’t going to win the Selke, but he’s ‘coachable’ 13
- Voynov case: D.A. wants ‘additional follow-up’ from police before deciding on charges 20
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins 82
- Video: Pittsburgh pays tribute to Ottawa tragedy with O Canada rendition 15
- Video: McKenzie talks latest from Ottawa shootings, Voynov investigation 0
- WATCH LIVE: Pittsburgh vs. Philly on Rivalry Night 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)