Jan 12, 2012, 12:12 AM EST
Sidney Crosby watched as the Pittsburgh Penguins were shut out by the Washington Capitals tonight, but some might hope that the concussed star will come to the rescue since he’s at least exercising again. Rugged defenseman Brooks Orpik believes that might be a foolish hope, though.
“I don’t think he’s anywhere close to coming back,” Orpik said. “You can’t really wait for him.”
That 1-0 loss marks the first time the Penguins failed to score this season, but things have been trending down quite a bit lately, with just six goals scored during an 0-6-0 streak.
Naturally, it doesn’t all boil down to Crosby as Kris Letang (concussion) and Jordan Staal (knee injury) are among the injured Penguins. It’s fair to say that the Penguins miss Letang quite a bit, too, as he’s an outstanding catalyst for the team’s offense from the blueline.
Perhaps Orpik’s statement was more about the Penguins needing to put all these issues out of their minds, but considering the state of things in Pittsburgh, his proclamation adds another ugly layer to all the doom and gloom.
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 0
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 48
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 24
- Video: Kessel says the way Toronto media treats Phaneuf is ‘embarrassing’ 46
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 9
- Rutherford: ‘Our guys felt very strongly about reacquiring’ Lovejoy 49
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline 78
- Giordano to have surgery, is ‘done for the season’ 22
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 36
- Ducks get their veteran d-man, adding Wisniewski from Columbus 15
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)