Jan 12, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney has denied the Shane-Doan-to-the-Rangers trade rumors that have been clogging up the series of tubes this week.
Maloney told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun there was “no truth whatsoever” to the gossip surrounding the Phoenix captain who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
According to CapGeek.com, Doan has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade should the Coyotes want to deal the 35-year-old winger to a contender.
Phoenix (20-17-6) sits 11th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot, a position that will only lead to more speculation about Doan as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches.
There’s also the whole “the Coyotes could be in Quebec City next season” angle to consider.
In October, Maloney told The Arizona Republic that the club would try to sign Doan to a new contract.
“Shane is very important to our franchise and we’ll do everything humanly possible to keep him,” Maloney said. “I’ve always felt Shane will be with the Coyotes as long as Shane wants to be with the Coyotes. I don’t think getting a contract done will be a problem.”
Drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995, Doan has never played for another franchise. So clearly he’s a loyal guy.
Of course, spending an entire career with the Jets/Coyotes also means Doan has never been past the second round of the playoffs.
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 4
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 21
- Blues prevail in longest game in franchise history as Steen scores in third OT 6
- Video: Sharks’ Brown runs Voynov into Quick, scrum ensues 2
- Opportunistic Rangers pull away from Flyers, take 1-0 series lead 53
- WATCH LIVE: Minnesota Wild at Colorado Avalanche (Game 1) 1
- WATCH LIVE: Chicago Blackhawks at St. Louis Blues (Game 1) 1
- Report: Hextall ‘in the mix’ for Vancouver GM job 25
- Fuel, meet fire: Torres to return for Sharks-Kings Game 1 11
- FYI: Hartnell and Voracek have black beards now 39