Jan 12, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney has denied the Shane-Doan-to-the-Rangers trade rumors that have been clogging up the series of tubes this week.
Maloney told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun there was “no truth whatsoever” to the gossip surrounding the Phoenix captain who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
According to CapGeek.com, Doan has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade should the Coyotes want to deal the 35-year-old winger to a contender.
Phoenix (20-17-6) sits 11th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot, a position that will only lead to more speculation about Doan as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches.
There’s also the whole “the Coyotes could be in Quebec City next season” angle to consider.
In October, Maloney told The Arizona Republic that the club would try to sign Doan to a new contract.
“Shane is very important to our franchise and we’ll do everything humanly possible to keep him,” Maloney said. “I’ve always felt Shane will be with the Coyotes as long as Shane wants to be with the Coyotes. I don’t think getting a contract done will be a problem.”
Drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995, Doan has never played for another franchise. So clearly he’s a loyal guy.
Of course, spending an entire career with the Jets/Coyotes also means Doan has never been past the second round of the playoffs.
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 22
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 21
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 33
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 20
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 53
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (67)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)