Jan 12, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney has denied the Shane-Doan-to-the-Rangers trade rumors that have been clogging up the series of tubes this week.
Maloney told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun there was “no truth whatsoever” to the gossip surrounding the Phoenix captain who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
According to CapGeek.com, Doan has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade should the Coyotes want to deal the 35-year-old winger to a contender.
Phoenix (20-17-6) sits 11th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot, a position that will only lead to more speculation about Doan as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches.
There’s also the whole “the Coyotes could be in Quebec City next season” angle to consider.
In October, Maloney told The Arizona Republic that the club would try to sign Doan to a new contract.
“Shane is very important to our franchise and we’ll do everything humanly possible to keep him,” Maloney said. “I’ve always felt Shane will be with the Coyotes as long as Shane wants to be with the Coyotes. I don’t think getting a contract done will be a problem.”
Drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995, Doan has never played for another franchise. So clearly he’s a loyal guy.
Of course, spending an entire career with the Jets/Coyotes also means Doan has never been past the second round of the playoffs.
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 20
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 44
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 30
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 18
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 15
- Four goals: Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 62
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 13
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)