Jan 12, 2012, 12:35 PM EST
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney has denied the Shane-Doan-to-the-Rangers trade rumors that have been clogging up the series of tubes this week.
Maloney told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun there was “no truth whatsoever” to the gossip surrounding the Phoenix captain who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
According to CapGeek.com, Doan has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade should the Coyotes want to deal the 35-year-old winger to a contender.
Phoenix (20-17-6) sits 11th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot, a position that will only lead to more speculation about Doan as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches.
There’s also the whole “the Coyotes could be in Quebec City next season” angle to consider.
In October, Maloney told The Arizona Republic that the club would try to sign Doan to a new contract.
“Shane is very important to our franchise and we’ll do everything humanly possible to keep him,” Maloney said. “I’ve always felt Shane will be with the Coyotes as long as Shane wants to be with the Coyotes. I don’t think getting a contract done will be a problem.”
Drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995, Doan has never played for another franchise. So clearly he’s a loyal guy.
Of course, spending an entire career with the Jets/Coyotes also means Doan has never been past the second round of the playoffs.
- Canada enters World Juniors as 11/10 favorite; USA next at 9/4 0
- Devils fire DeBoer 15
- More mumps: Downie and Greiss test positive 2
- Orpik reflects on ‘outside pressure’ in Pittsburgh 16
- Canada tabs Fucale for WJC opener 0
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 9
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 30
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)