Jan 12, 2012, 12:35 PM EDT
Coyotes general manager Don Maloney has denied the Shane-Doan-to-the-Rangers trade rumors that have been clogging up the series of tubes this week.
Maloney told ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun there was “no truth whatsoever” to the gossip surrounding the Phoenix captain who’s set to become an unrestricted free agent this summer.
According to CapGeek.com, Doan has a no-movement clause, so he’d have to approve any trade should the Coyotes want to deal the 35-year-old winger to a contender.
Phoenix (20-17-6) sits 11th in the Western Conference, three points back of a playoff spot, a position that will only lead to more speculation about Doan as the Feb. 27 trade deadline approaches.
There’s also the whole “the Coyotes could be in Quebec City next season” angle to consider.
In October, Maloney told The Arizona Republic that the club would try to sign Doan to a new contract.
“Shane is very important to our franchise and we’ll do everything humanly possible to keep him,” Maloney said. “I’ve always felt Shane will be with the Coyotes as long as Shane wants to be with the Coyotes. I don’t think getting a contract done will be a problem.”
Drafted by the Winnipeg Jets in 1995, Doan has never played for another franchise. So clearly he’s a loyal guy.
Of course, spending an entire career with the Jets/Coyotes also means Doan has never been past the second round of the playoffs.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)