Jan 12, 2012, 9:13 PM EDT
The Washington Capitals better not have been holding out until Mike Green could make a full return, because it looks like that day won’t come anytime soon.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that the team placed him on the long-term injured reserve on Thursday. For that reason, Green won’t be eligible to return until Feb. 1 – at the earliest – meaning he’ll miss a minimum of eight more games.
Green was only in the middle of his second game back from a groin injury on Saturday when he re-injured that nagging ailment. The problem is so serious that the Capitals said he might not be the same for a “long time.”
This is devastating news for Green, but the bottom line is that the Caps are likely used to him being out of the lineup this season. From the looks of things, Washington might need Dennis Wideman to continue playing All-Star-caliber hockey because he could be their top offensive defenseman for quite some time.
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 1
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 31
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)