Jan 12, 2012, 9:13 PM EST
The Washington Capitals better not have been holding out until Mike Green could make a full return, because it looks like that day won’t come anytime soon.
CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley reports that the team placed him on the long-term injured reserve on Thursday. For that reason, Green won’t be eligible to return until Feb. 1 – at the earliest – meaning he’ll miss a minimum of eight more games.
Green was only in the middle of his second game back from a groin injury on Saturday when he re-injured that nagging ailment. The problem is so serious that the Capitals said he might not be the same for a “long time.”
This is devastating news for Green, but the bottom line is that the Caps are likely used to him being out of the lineup this season. From the looks of things, Washington might need Dennis Wideman to continue playing All-Star-caliber hockey because he could be their top offensive defenseman for quite some time.
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 0
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 2
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 8
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 19
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 44
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Doan: Coyotes rebuild was ‘not my idea, not my ideal situation’ 29
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)