Jan 12, 2012, 4:42 PM EDT
Another day, another person not thrilled with Sports Illustrated’s anonymous NHL players poll.
Today it was Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo sharing his thoughts on the poll, which asked 161 NHLers to pick the league’s most overrated players. Luongo finished fourth on the list, behind Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf, Washington’s Alex Ovechkin and Montreal’s Scott Gomez.
“I don’t care and I really don’t pay attention,” Luongo told the Vancouver Province.
Luongo might not care or pay attention, but his teammates seem to, at least a little. The Canucks featured prominently on the most overrated list (Ryan Kesler finished ninth) and that drew the ire of team captain Henrik Sedin.
“It bothers me that they have a poll,” Sedin said. “How are they overrated? None of those on the list are bad players. I was really surprised by the poll and who was on it. Me and Danny were the most overrated in Sweden before we came over and it’s nothing we cared about, and I hope Lui and Kes don’t care. Do the best player or the MVP.”
That Luongo made the overrated list shouldn’t come as much of a surprise
because he is quite overrated. Sports Illustrated did the same poll in 2010 (though based on a survey of 272 NHLers) and Luongo was one of three goalies to get more than a single vote.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 45
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 24
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 11
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)