Luongo doesn’t care about being the NHL’s fourth-most overrated player

Jan 12, 2012, 4:42 PM EST

Roberto Luongo Getty Images

Today it was Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo sharing his thoughts on the poll, which asked 161 NHLers to pick the league’s most overrated players. Luongo finished fourth on the list, behind Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf, Washington’s Alex Ovechkin and Montreal’s Scott Gomez.

“I don’t care and I really don’t pay attention,” Luongo told the Vancouver Province.

Luongo might not care or pay attention, but his teammates seem to, at least a little. The Canucks featured prominently on the most overrated list (Ryan Kesler finished ninth) and that drew the ire of team captain Henrik Sedin.

“It bothers me that they have a poll,” Sedin said. “How are they overrated? None of those on the list are bad players. I was really surprised by the poll and who was on it. Me and Danny were the most overrated in Sweden before we came over and it’s nothing we cared about, and I hope Lui and Kes don’t care. Do the best player or the MVP.”

That Luongo made the overrated list shouldn’t come as much of a surprise because he is quite overrated. Sports Illustrated did the same poll in 2010 (though based on a survey of 272 NHLers) and Luongo was one of three goalies to get more than a single vote.

1. bigtganks - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:51 PM

But let’s not talk about Gomez, Ovechkin, or Phanuef…

/facepalm

• gooterbaby - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:15 PM

They don’t play for the leagues most hated team.

2. thatsdoinit - Jan 12, 2012 at 4:53 PM

Overrated? Questionable.

Overpaid? Absolutely.

3. bigtganks - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:10 PM

Mike Halford: “…another person not thrilled with Sports Illustrated’s anonymous NHL players poll.”

Luongo: “I don’t care and I really don’t pay attention,”

Explain your logic please…

• Mike Halford - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:13 PM

Well, Luongo didn’t sound thrilled. Pretty simple.

Another person not thrilled? Henrik Sedin.

“It bothers me that they have a poll,” Sedin said.

• bigtganks - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:37 PM

You eluded it was Luongo.

“Another day, another person not thrilled with Sports Illustrated’s anonymous NHL players poll.

Today it was Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo”

He said he didn’t care. That’s my point. I see yours with Sedin though.

• blomfeld - Jan 13, 2012 at 1:56 AM

EXACTLY …

Luongo is “on record” for not caring about who he wins the cup with … it could be with the Mogadishu Bulldogs for all he cares … just as long as “he” wins the cup …

4. haterzgonahate - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:24 PM

Jarome Iginla was on that poll.. which pretty much sums it up and speaks to the credibility of said poll. and Kesler? really? the guy just had his breakout season.. practically carried his team through round 2 of the playoffs last year..

lets do a quick poll on who thinks that poll is a joke. all in favor? thumbs up!

5. whatswellydoing - Jan 12, 2012 at 5:27 PM

I don’t really get how he’s overrated. He’s one of the biggest whipping boys in the league. Same goes for Gomez and several other players on the list. When I think overrated, I think players who are praised more than they should be.

6. canuckdude82 - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:00 PM

Because this is what overrated does mean. This poll looks more like a popularity contest…..

7. waraggie - Jan 12, 2012 at 6:32 PM

As a Canucks fan, he is definitely overpaid and, combined with being a Canuck, that makes him overrated. I agree that a goalie making that kind of money should show up in big games…hell, at least play. I do think his heart isn’t in the game from time to time. But it is what it is. He’s playing well now and that’s all that matters.

But the list is completely bogus. So is the way it is reported. Did anyone ask Ovi what he thought? How about Iginla? Chris Pronger is sitting at home with a concussion….think he cares?

8. soxpatsbscelts - Jan 12, 2012 at 7:45 PM

Didn’t even play in Boston. What a punk.

9. gnazarov - Jan 13, 2012 at 3:14 PM

Not to mention he’s a complete d-bag as well.

Holiday wish lists for NHL teams
Top 10 NHL Player Searches