Jan 12, 2012, 4:42 PM EST
Another day, another person not thrilled with Sports Illustrated’s anonymous NHL players poll.
Today it was Vancouver Canucks goalie Roberto Luongo sharing his thoughts on the poll, which asked 161 NHLers to pick the league’s most overrated players. Luongo finished fourth on the list, behind Toronto’s Dion Phaneuf, Washington’s Alex Ovechkin and Montreal’s Scott Gomez.
“I don’t care and I really don’t pay attention,” Luongo told the Vancouver Province.
Luongo might not care or pay attention, but his teammates seem to, at least a little. The Canucks featured prominently on the most overrated list (Ryan Kesler finished ninth) and that drew the ire of team captain Henrik Sedin.
“It bothers me that they have a poll,” Sedin said. “How are they overrated? None of those on the list are bad players. I was really surprised by the poll and who was on it. Me and Danny were the most overrated in Sweden before we came over and it’s nothing we cared about, and I hope Lui and Kes don’t care. Do the best player or the MVP.”
That Luongo made the overrated list shouldn’t come as much of a surprise
because he is quite overrated. Sports Illustrated did the same poll in 2010 (though based on a survey of 272 NHLers) and Luongo was one of three goalies to get more than a single vote.
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 10
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 1
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 27
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension 40
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks 52
- Report: NHL set to finally pay Gretzky at least $7M 15
- Kadri out as falling Leafs start tough stretch vs. Sharks 9
- Wounded Wings: Zetterberg (back) out, joins Datsyuk on shelf 7
- Burrows out with broken jaw (Update: expected to miss at least four weeks) 22
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (52)
- King of New York: Rangers sign Lundqvist to seven-year, $59.5 million extension (40)
- Panthers announced attendance Tuesday night lowest since 2008 (37)
- Islanders embarrassed in fifth consecutive loss (33)