Jan 12, 2012, 3:46 PM EDT
It’s been an unsettling last few days for the Winnipeg Jets. On Tuesday, head coach Claude Noel ripped Evander Kane for his lackluster play in a 5-3 loss to Boston. On Thursday, a visibly dejected Kane responded to the criticism, noting that he and his coach hadn’t spoken since the game.
This prompted some head-scratching. Why did Noel go after Kane — Winnipeg’s leading goalscorer and arguably best player this season — in such an aggressive and public manner?
Noel’s response was an interesting one. He blamed the media for provoking him.
“You guys are very good at provoking emotions,” Noel explained. “That’s what you do. And when you get caught, you pay the price. So it’s something that I’ll be ready for next time.
“I would sooner deal with the players face to face which is where I do it. The media isn’t the forum for me to do it…the media isn’t the forum for me to deal with players that’s just not where it gets done. That’s not a motivating place.”
It’s a nice theory, but ultimately flawed. Noel could’ve used media provocation as an excuse if this was the first time he’d publicly blasted his team, but this ain’t exactly a first-time thing (see here and here). If anything, Noel’s played the public lambasting card too early and too often; his infamous “Why are you, an NHL player, playing like an American league player?” quote came just three games into the season.
It’ll be interesting to see how this all plays out. The Jets have been a wildly inconsistent bunch, but are still in the thick of the playoff race, thanks in large part to their outstanding home record. Noel’s abrasive style has surely rubbed some players the wrong way and with Winnipeg legend Randy Carlyle still looking for work, one wonders if Noel’s next public shaming might be his last.
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 12
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 7
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 28
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 78
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 52
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (99)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (89)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)