Jan 12, 2012, 11:34 PM EST
Henrik Zetterberg‘s shootout goal against Mike Smith is a beauty, but it might not be wholly original. Some people might think of Kent Nilsson. Many more will bring up Peter Forsberg’s name. I have a faint belief that Zetterberg’s peer Mike Ribeiro uses a similar move from time to time.
Either way, it’s a slick and almost unfair technique, as Smith found himself the victim of the highlight of the night after getting the opposite treatment when he stopped Marian Gaborik on a penalty shot on Wednesday.
The Detroit Red Wings came out on top 3-2, giving them 13 consecutive wins at Joe Louis Arena and the Phoenix Coyotes two shootout losses in as many days.
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 3
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 93
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 23
- From contract dispute to All-Star MVP, Johansen’s had quite the year 16
- Marc-Andre Fleury would like to remind the Columbus crowd that the Penguins beat the Blue Jackets in the playoffs 31
- Cannonball Run…and gun: Team Toews wins highest-scoring game in ASG history 24
- Supercut: Every goal from the highest-scoring period in All-Star Game history 7
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 4
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 13
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (92)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)