Jan 12, 2012, 11:34 PM EDT
Henrik Zetterberg‘s shootout goal against Mike Smith is a beauty, but it might not be wholly original. Some people might think of Kent Nilsson. Many more will bring up Peter Forsberg’s name. I have a faint belief that Zetterberg’s peer Mike Ribeiro uses a similar move from time to time.
Either way, it’s a slick and almost unfair technique, as Smith found himself the victim of the highlight of the night after getting the opposite treatment when he stopped Marian Gaborik on a penalty shot on Wednesday.
The Detroit Red Wings came out on top 3-2, giving them 13 consecutive wins at Joe Louis Arena and the Phoenix Coyotes two shootout losses in as many days.
- Here’s who’s left after Day 1 of free agency 9
- PHT’s 2015 free agent frenzy tracker 38
- Getting clutch? Capitals sign Justin Williams for two years, $6.5M 14
- Coyotes bring back Vermette with two-year deal 30
- Bruins sign Beleskey for five years, despite some warning signs 42
- Kessel trade shows Leafs are trying to ‘build this thing the right way’ 26
- Green signs with Red Wings — 3 years, $18 million 24
- ‘It’s hard to find players like Phil Kessel’ 45
- Kassian traded to Habs for Prust; Hodgson signs with Preds 17
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins 131
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)