Jan 12, 2012, 11:34 PM EDT
Henrik Zetterberg‘s shootout goal against Mike Smith is a beauty, but it might not be wholly original. Some people might think of Kent Nilsson. Many more will bring up Peter Forsberg’s name. I have a faint belief that Zetterberg’s peer Mike Ribeiro uses a similar move from time to time.
Either way, it’s a slick and almost unfair technique, as Smith found himself the victim of the highlight of the night after getting the opposite treatment when he stopped Marian Gaborik on a penalty shot on Wednesday.
The Detroit Red Wings came out on top 3-2, giving them 13 consecutive wins at Joe Louis Arena and the Phoenix Coyotes two shootout losses in as many days.
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 16
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 4
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 23
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42
- It’s Florida Panthers day on PHT 8