Jan 12, 2012, 11:34 PM EDT
Henrik Zetterberg‘s shootout goal against Mike Smith is a beauty, but it might not be wholly original. Some people might think of Kent Nilsson. Many more will bring up Peter Forsberg’s name. I have a faint belief that Zetterberg’s peer Mike Ribeiro uses a similar move from time to time.
Either way, it’s a slick and almost unfair technique, as Smith found himself the victim of the highlight of the night after getting the opposite treatment when he stopped Marian Gaborik on a penalty shot on Wednesday.
The Detroit Red Wings came out on top 3-2, giving them 13 consecutive wins at Joe Louis Arena and the Phoenix Coyotes two shootout losses in as many days.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 61
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 32
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 40
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63