Jan 12, 2012, 1:08 PM EDT
Fighting in the NHL is down 25 percent this season, notes Kevin Allen of USA Today.
Last season there were 697 fighting majors in the first half, and this season there were 519. Twenty-one of the 30 teams have had fewer fighting majors than they had at the midpoint last season. Seven are up and two stayed the same.
Allen spoke with three NHL general managers – Don Maloney (Phoenix), Doug Armstrong (St. Louis) and Brian Burke (Toronto) – to get their takes on the decline in fisticuffs.
Maloney believes all the concussion talk has players thinking twice about dropping the gloves.
Armstrong thinks it’s because pure enforcers are being squeezed out of the league.
Burke, as he’s already said, is worried about the rats taking over the game.
Maloney’s comments are perhaps the most noteworthy, as the concussion issue is often downplayed by hockey people.
“Even though very few fights end up in concussion, there is this feeling I have that people are more careful and leery,” he said.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 1
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 15
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 18
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (49)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)