Jan 12, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT
I’m not a financial expert by the slightest stretch, but I feel safe to say that it’s not very nice when someone compares someone else to Bernie Madoff.
That’s exactly what Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi did regarding Oilers GM Steve Tambellini in the angry aftermath of the team’s (eventually successful) attempts to trade Ryan Smyth back to his second home in Edmonton. The Kings executive was upset that the players he received – Gilbert Brule in the botched deal and then Colin Fraser in the finalized one – came back injured.
Lombardi was smoking mad months ago, but it seems like time cooled his anger, as The Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott reports that he apologized for his remarks.
“I should have never said what I said publicly,” Lombardi said. “It was the wrong thing to do.”
That might be true from a P.R. standpoint, but let’s hope he doesn’t learn too much from this situation. After all, we’d lose out on a lot of great one-liners if Lombardi developed what most of us call a “filter.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 0
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 8
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 2
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)