Jan 12, 2012, 8:08 PM EDT
I’m not a financial expert by the slightest stretch, but I feel safe to say that it’s not very nice when someone compares someone else to Bernie Madoff.
That’s exactly what Los Angeles Kings GM Dean Lombardi did regarding Oilers GM Steve Tambellini in the angry aftermath of the team’s (eventually successful) attempts to trade Ryan Smyth back to his second home in Edmonton. The Kings executive was upset that the players he received – Gilbert Brule in the botched deal and then Colin Fraser in the finalized one – came back injured.
Lombardi was smoking mad months ago, but it seems like time cooled his anger, as The Los Angeles Times’ Helene Elliott reports that he apologized for his remarks.
“I should have never said what I said publicly,” Lombardi said. “It was the wrong thing to do.”
That might be true from a P.R. standpoint, but let’s hope he doesn’t learn too much from this situation. After all, we’d lose out on a lot of great one-liners if Lombardi developed what most of us call a “filter.”
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 1
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 32
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 44
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (44)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)