Jan 12, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
The NHL released its full 2012 All-Star Game roster today. As always, there are names that are missing that maybe shouldn’t be.
First let’s get to the snubs that aren’t really snubs.
Now, on to the rest.
Scott Hartnell (Philadelphia) – Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said it would be “criminal” if Hartnell didn’t make it. Alas, Philly already has four players going to the game – Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen as veterans, Sean Couturier and Matt Read as rookies. Hartnell isn’t the flashiest guy on the ice and some believe he’s only putting up big numbers because he’s playing with good line-mates. Makes it easier to cross him off the list.
Patrice Bergeron (Boston) – Like Hartnell, Bergeron was squeezed out by his teammates. The Bruins are already sending Zdeno Chara, Tyler Seguin and Tim Thomas to Ottawa. Bergeron will have to make do with the 2012 Selke Trophy and the knowledge every NHL general manager would take him over Jason Pominville.
James Neal (Pittsburgh) – Only five players have more goals than Neal (21), with all five making the All-Star team. Of course, Neal is also playing with a broken foot. Chances are he won’t mind a few days without putting his skates on.
Other snub candidates include Tomas Vanek (Buffalo), Patrik Elias (New Jersey), Patrick Sharp (Chicago), Kris Versteeg (Florida), Jason Garrison (Florida), and… anyone else? We’ve probably snubbed some snubs.
- Wild hold off late Avalanche push to even series at 2-2 15
- Bruins scratch out OT win, push Red Wings to brink 20
- WATCH LIVE: San Jose Sharks at L.A. Kings 0
- WATCH LIVE: Colorado Avalanche at Minnesota Wild (Game 4) 5
- Monster of a surprise: Red Wings start Gustavsson over Howard 5
- WATCH LIVE: Boston Bruins at Detroit Red Wings (Game 4) 2
- Bylsma rips Penguins, calls effort level ‘troubling’ 64
- Cooke: I didn’t intend to collide knee-on-knee with Barrie 99
- On ‘score effects,’ and the challenges of playing with the lead 11
- MacKinnon: Avs ‘shut ourselves down’ in Game 3, not Wild 29
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (153)
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head (137)
- Keith doesn’t remember if he taunted Backes after Seabrook hit (125)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (118)
- Wild’s Cooke offered in-person hearing for knee-on-knee collision with Barrie (111)