Jan 12, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
The NHL released its full 2012 All-Star Game roster today. As always, there are names that are missing that maybe shouldn’t be.
First let’s get to the snubs that aren’t really snubs.
Now, on to the rest.
Scott Hartnell (Philadelphia) – Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said it would be “criminal” if Hartnell didn’t make it. Alas, Philly already has four players going to the game – Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen as veterans, Sean Couturier and Matt Read as rookies. Hartnell isn’t the flashiest guy on the ice and some believe he’s only putting up big numbers because he’s playing with good line-mates. Makes it easier to cross him off the list.
Patrice Bergeron (Boston) – Like Hartnell, Bergeron was squeezed out by his teammates. The Bruins are already sending Zdeno Chara, Tyler Seguin and Tim Thomas to Ottawa. Bergeron will have to make do with the 2012 Selke Trophy and the knowledge every NHL general manager would take him over Jason Pominville.
James Neal (Pittsburgh) – Only five players have more goals than Neal (21), with all five making the All-Star team. Of course, Neal is also playing with a broken foot. Chances are he won’t mind a few days without putting his skates on.
Other snub candidates include Tomas Vanek (Buffalo), Patrik Elias (New Jersey), Patrick Sharp (Chicago), Kris Versteeg (Florida), Jason Garrison (Florida), and… anyone else? We’ve probably snubbed some snubs.
- NHL fines Sharks $100K for Torres suspension critique 24
- Toews has beef with officiating after Game 2 loss 33
- Discuss: Red Wings even up series, take down Chicago 4-1 24
- No surgery needed for Eric Staal following injury at Worlds 3
- Playoffs tonight: Detroit and San Jose look to change things up 3
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 25
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 8
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 4
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 40
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 91
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Oxbow upsets Orb in Preakness
- Live Extra: Watch Game 3 between Sharks, Kings
- MST: Carpenter wins pole for 97th Indianapolis 500
- PHT: Red Wings even up series with Blackhawks
- PBT: Pacers may not have Hill for Game 6
- PHT: No surgery needed for Staal after brutal hit
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings even series, thump Blackhawks
- Play Video: Filppula scores impressive, unbalanced goal
- Play Video: IIHF highlights: Sweden 3, Finland 0
- Play Video: Highlights: Crosby's hat-trick leads Pens in Game 2
- Play Video: Vokoun robs Greening
- Play Video: Crosby scores twice early on in Game 2