Jan 12, 2012, 2:42 PM EDT
The NHL released its full 2012 All-Star Game roster today. As always, there are names that are missing that maybe shouldn’t be.
First let’s get to the snubs that aren’t really snubs.
Now, on to the rest.
Scott Hartnell (Philadelphia) – Flyers coach Peter Laviolette said it would be “criminal” if Hartnell didn’t make it. Alas, Philly already has four players going to the game – Claude Giroux and Kimmo Timonen as veterans, Sean Couturier and Matt Read as rookies. Hartnell isn’t the flashiest guy on the ice and some believe he’s only putting up big numbers because he’s playing with good line-mates. Makes it easier to cross him off the list.
Patrice Bergeron (Boston) – Like Hartnell, Bergeron was squeezed out by his teammates. The Bruins are already sending Zdeno Chara, Tyler Seguin and Tim Thomas to Ottawa. Bergeron will have to make do with the 2012 Selke Trophy and the knowledge every NHL general manager would take him over Jason Pominville.
James Neal (Pittsburgh) – Only five players have more goals than Neal (21), with all five making the All-Star team. Of course, Neal is also playing with a broken foot. Chances are he won’t mind a few days without putting his skates on.
Other snub candidates include Tomas Vanek (Buffalo), Patrik Elias (New Jersey), Patrick Sharp (Chicago), Kris Versteeg (Florida), Jason Garrison (Florida), and… anyone else? We’ve probably snubbed some snubs.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 37
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)