Jan 11, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
Travis Zajac‘s return from a torn Achilles tendon hasn’t exactly gone so well. In eight games, Zajac has a goal and two assists but hasn’t looked like the playmaker he was in past seasons with New Jersey.
It turns out that Zajac’s Achilles is giving him troubles again and he’ll need a bit of a break to make sure he’s doing better. The Devils announced that they’re shutting Zajac down for the next two weeks so he can get back closer to 100 percent. Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti says that the two week layoff is more like three weeks thanks to the All-Star break coming up at the end of the month.
Zajac is a key cog for the Devils’ success and hopes of making the Stanley Cup finals. While Adam Henrique has been a revelation as a rookie and Patrik Elias looks as good as he ever has, having a solid three-way attack at center would make the Devils a pain to deal with on three lines rather than two.
The Devils will hope the rest will do Zajac some good as the stretch run for New Jersey will be important with a host of teams around them jockeying for the playoffs and the Devils themselves having to fend off other challengers.
- PHT’s 2015 NHL Trade Deadline Tracker 0
- Trade: Montreal acquires Petry from Edmonton for two draft picks 11
- Bruins acquire Connolly from the Lightning for draft picks (Confirmed) 27
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder 69
- Trade: Capitals land Glencross, Flames get two picks 23
- Flames place Giordano on IR 5
- Flyers keep faint playoff hopes alive with win over Rangers 28
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder 74
- Jagr earns high praise in his Panthers debut 1
- Bruins maintain four-point edge in playoff race, hand Coyotes ninth straight loss 5
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (150)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trade: Rangers land Yandle, Coyotes receive Duclair, first-rounder (69)