Jan 11, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s return from a torn Achilles tendon hasn’t exactly gone so well. In eight games, Zajac has a goal and two assists but hasn’t looked like the playmaker he was in past seasons with New Jersey.
It turns out that Zajac’s Achilles is giving him troubles again and he’ll need a bit of a break to make sure he’s doing better. The Devils announced that they’re shutting Zajac down for the next two weeks so he can get back closer to 100 percent. Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti says that the two week layoff is more like three weeks thanks to the All-Star break coming up at the end of the month.
Zajac is a key cog for the Devils’ success and hopes of making the Stanley Cup finals. While Adam Henrique has been a revelation as a rookie and Patrik Elias looks as good as he ever has, having a solid three-way attack at center would make the Devils a pain to deal with on three lines rather than two.
The Devils will hope the rest will do Zajac some good as the stretch run for New Jersey will be important with a host of teams around them jockeying for the playoffs and the Devils themselves having to fend off other challengers.
- Surging Stamkos: Lightning put Rangers on the brink 4
- Video: Filppula, Stamkos score two big goals for Bolts 0
- Report: Blues will stick with Hitchcock ‘barring anything dramatic’ 9
- WATCH LIVE: Lightning at Rangers, Game 5 of Eastern Conference Final 0
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ 31
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 54
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 9
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)