Jan 11, 2012, 1:14 PM EDT
Travis Zajac‘s return from a torn Achilles tendon hasn’t exactly gone so well. In eight games, Zajac has a goal and two assists but hasn’t looked like the playmaker he was in past seasons with New Jersey.
It turns out that Zajac’s Achilles is giving him troubles again and he’ll need a bit of a break to make sure he’s doing better. The Devils announced that they’re shutting Zajac down for the next two weeks so he can get back closer to 100 percent. Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti says that the two week layoff is more like three weeks thanks to the All-Star break coming up at the end of the month.
Zajac is a key cog for the Devils’ success and hopes of making the Stanley Cup finals. While Adam Henrique has been a revelation as a rookie and Patrik Elias looks as good as he ever has, having a solid three-way attack at center would make the Devils a pain to deal with on three lines rather than two.
The Devils will hope the rest will do Zajac some good as the stretch run for New Jersey will be important with a host of teams around them jockeying for the playoffs and the Devils themselves having to fend off other challengers.
- Canadiens push Lightning to brink of elimination with 3-2 win 2
- WATCH LIVE: Los Angeles Kings at San Jose Sharks (Game 2) 0
- Bad luck strikes twice: Lightning goal waved off, Stamkos takes knee to head 64
- Bruins handle Red Wings 4-1, tie series 1-1 34
- Flyers overcome two-goal deficit to finally win at MSG 53
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes 85
- MacKinnon, Avs shine against Wild, take 2-0 series lead 24
- Video: Roenick says MacKinnon is more dominant at 18 than Crosby was 28
- Blue Jackets gain first-ever playoff win, tie series with Penguins 1-1 49
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) 136
- Video: Seabrook ejected for charging Backes; will face hearing (update) (136)
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind (116)
- Flyers want to ‘punish’ McDonagh (113)
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- NHL suspends Seabrook three games for charging into Backes (85)