Jan 11, 2012, 1:14 PM EST
Travis Zajac‘s return from a torn Achilles tendon hasn’t exactly gone so well. In eight games, Zajac has a goal and two assists but hasn’t looked like the playmaker he was in past seasons with New Jersey.
It turns out that Zajac’s Achilles is giving him troubles again and he’ll need a bit of a break to make sure he’s doing better. The Devils announced that they’re shutting Zajac down for the next two weeks so he can get back closer to 100 percent. Fire & Ice’s Tom Gulitti says that the two week layoff is more like three weeks thanks to the All-Star break coming up at the end of the month.
Zajac is a key cog for the Devils’ success and hopes of making the Stanley Cup finals. While Adam Henrique has been a revelation as a rookie and Patrik Elias looks as good as he ever has, having a solid three-way attack at center would make the Devils a pain to deal with on three lines rather than two.
The Devils will hope the rest will do Zajac some good as the stretch run for New Jersey will be important with a host of teams around them jockeying for the playoffs and the Devils themselves having to fend off other challengers.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)