Jan 11, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Could the Flyers and Leafs be talking trade?
The Philadelphia Daily News reports that “Flyers director of player development Don Luce was spotted for the third time in as many weeks at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto for the Maple Leafs’ contest against Buffalo.”
The reporter, Frank Seravalli, admits this could be much ado about nothing, but notes that Luce “spent a lot of time in Toronto” before the Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to Philly on Feb. 14.
Seravilli also notes that the two teams’ general managers, Brian Burke and Paul Holmgren, are “close friends.” So presumably they speak often.
Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn (and older brother of Philadelphia forward Brayden Schenn) is named as a potential target of the Flyers, who will likely try to address the absence of Chris Pronger (concussion) prior to the trade deadline on Feb. 27.
Expect to hear Luke Schenn’s name a lot in trade speculation. (We already floated a Schenn-to-Anaheim deal). Once considered untouchable in Toronto, the stay-at-home blueliner has seen his ice time decline dramatically this season. The Leafs are one of the few teams in the NHL that can boast an abundance of defensemen.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)