Jan 11, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Could the Flyers and Leafs be talking trade?
The Philadelphia Daily News reports that “Flyers director of player development Don Luce was spotted for the third time in as many weeks at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto for the Maple Leafs’ contest against Buffalo.”
The reporter, Frank Seravalli, admits this could be much ado about nothing, but notes that Luce “spent a lot of time in Toronto” before the Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to Philly on Feb. 14.
Seravilli also notes that the two teams’ general managers, Brian Burke and Paul Holmgren, are “close friends.” So presumably they speak often.
Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn (and older brother of Philadelphia forward Brayden Schenn) is named as a potential target of the Flyers, who will likely try to address the absence of Chris Pronger (concussion) prior to the trade deadline on Feb. 27.
Expect to hear Luke Schenn’s name a lot in trade speculation. (We already floated a Schenn-to-Anaheim deal). Once considered untouchable in Toronto, the stay-at-home blueliner has seen his ice time decline dramatically this season. The Leafs are one of the few teams in the NHL that can boast an abundance of defensemen.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 12
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)