Jan 11, 2012, 12:30 PM EST
Could the Flyers and Leafs be talking trade?
The Philadelphia Daily News reports that “Flyers director of player development Don Luce was spotted for the third time in as many weeks at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto for the Maple Leafs’ contest against Buffalo.”
The reporter, Frank Seravalli, admits this could be much ado about nothing, but notes that Luce “spent a lot of time in Toronto” before the Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to Philly on Feb. 14.
Seravilli also notes that the two teams’ general managers, Brian Burke and Paul Holmgren, are “close friends.” So presumably they speak often.
Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn (and older brother of Philadelphia forward Brayden Schenn) is named as a potential target of the Flyers, who will likely try to address the absence of Chris Pronger (concussion) prior to the trade deadline on Feb. 27.
Expect to hear Luke Schenn’s name a lot in trade speculation. (We already floated a Schenn-to-Anaheim deal). Once considered untouchable in Toronto, the stay-at-home blueliner has seen his ice time decline dramatically this season. The Leafs are one of the few teams in the NHL that can boast an abundance of defensemen.
- Rivalry Night on NBCSN: Flyers challenge top-ranked Blackhawks 0
- Update: Ryan Callahan out 4-6 weeks with MCL sprain 6
- Ovechkin wills Caps to stunning shootout win vs. Bolts 49
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 12
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 70
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (137)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)