Jan 11, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Could the Flyers and Leafs be talking trade?
The Philadelphia Daily News reports that “Flyers director of player development Don Luce was spotted for the third time in as many weeks at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto for the Maple Leafs’ contest against Buffalo.”
The reporter, Frank Seravalli, admits this could be much ado about nothing, but notes that Luce “spent a lot of time in Toronto” before the Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to Philly on Feb. 14.
Seravilli also notes that the two teams’ general managers, Brian Burke and Paul Holmgren, are “close friends.” So presumably they speak often.
Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn (and older brother of Philadelphia forward Brayden Schenn) is named as a potential target of the Flyers, who will likely try to address the absence of Chris Pronger (concussion) prior to the trade deadline on Feb. 27.
Expect to hear Luke Schenn’s name a lot in trade speculation. (We already floated a Schenn-to-Anaheim deal). Once considered untouchable in Toronto, the stay-at-home blueliner has seen his ice time decline dramatically this season. The Leafs are one of the few teams in the NHL that can boast an abundance of defensemen.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 23
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)