Jan 11, 2012, 12:30 PM EDT
Could the Flyers and Leafs be talking trade?
The Philadelphia Daily News reports that “Flyers director of player development Don Luce was spotted for the third time in as many weeks at the Air Canada Centre in Toronto for the Maple Leafs’ contest against Buffalo.”
The reporter, Frank Seravalli, admits this could be much ado about nothing, but notes that Luce “spent a lot of time in Toronto” before the Leafs traded Kris Versteeg to Philly on Feb. 14.
Seravilli also notes that the two teams’ general managers, Brian Burke and Paul Holmgren, are “close friends.” So presumably they speak often.
Leafs defenseman Luke Schenn (and older brother of Philadelphia forward Brayden Schenn) is named as a potential target of the Flyers, who will likely try to address the absence of Chris Pronger (concussion) prior to the trade deadline on Feb. 27.
Expect to hear Luke Schenn’s name a lot in trade speculation. (We already floated a Schenn-to-Anaheim deal). Once considered untouchable in Toronto, the stay-at-home blueliner has seen his ice time decline dramatically this season. The Leafs are one of the few teams in the NHL that can boast an abundance of defensemen.
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)